How can you tell if the low speed fan is bad? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-06-2002, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
How can you tell if the low speed fan is bad?

I just did all the mentioned mods and the car is running hotter than normal, say in the M or A, without the ac on. I know the high speed fan is comming on, i am sure of it. Just wondering how to check if the low speed is not working, or that is just the new temp its going to run at? I had a chip burned, but it was running like this befor the chip. I cant even think of turning on my ac. I havent done the recall yet. Any input please? I searched for some threads, but found none on the low speed fan.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-06-2002, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

I just looked at the wires going to the rad., and they looked fine. When i unpluged then pluged everything back in, the fan came on at the O. But it still went up to the M/A mark. So i guess i just have to buy a all. rad. to solve the problem. If anyone has any input i would like the help.

post #3 of 14 Old 08-07-2002, 02:31 AM

why dont you just cross the low speed over with the high and make the fan run on high all the time

2004 competiton orange mach 1, 4.10 gear, pro 5.0
off raod X pipe, slowmasters. 4 sell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-08-2002, 12:24 AM

Trader Feedback: (22)
I too have the same problem! It started after I added the MAC unequal headers and a 73mm CL meter. I don't know which of the two is the culprit since I installed them both a the same time. I suspect the MAC unequals since we both have those in common? Plus I swap the CL for the sock MAF and it still heated up. I've removed my stock radiator and had it flushed and tested at a shop, turned out good. I've since added a brand new 180 stat, new ECT (engine coolant temp.) sensor, water wetter, high speed fan is wired to a switch that I turn on as soon as I get in the car, and it still lands on the "M" after 25 minutes of driving!?!? I'm at a loss myself.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-08-2002, 02:07 PM

I just got tired of dealing with it and got a GOOD radiator.

Terry Patton
Sold this one now... 95 5 speed 'vert...now with Fluidyne radiator, Pullies, 65mm TB, Bullet 75MAF, WMS Cold Air Induction w/ K&N, PBR 2 piston caliper brake upgrade.

THE 94 HAS BEEN TOTALED 3/19/02...LONG LIVE THE 95!!!

Used to have a:
94gt Convertible w/AODE (OINK!)
JMS Chip, Romac Balancer, Art Carr modified valve body and some internal upgrades, Borla cat-back, FMS 3.73 gears, FMS "B" springs & Tokico non-adjustables, Hotchkis CC plates

In my garage waitin' for heads...Cobra intake, 1.7RR's
post #6 of 14 Old 08-09-2002, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

TJ 94GT VERT --- Did that solve the problem?
post #7 of 14 Old 08-09-2002, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chris50
TJ 94GT VERT --- Did that solve the problem?
I put a Fluidyne in mine and it still runs hot...It runs a bit cooler but It does almost nothing on really hot days(which is what I bought it for)...but most places dont hit 165* ground temps like we do out in the desert...

Ive heard replaceing the fan motor helps quite a bit in some cars...the start takin a **** and the fan cant pull the CFM is suppost to...therefore it cant cool the car off very good...the fan motors from ford are like $200...seems like a better place to start.

The car is only going to run as cool as the system lets it...radiators wont do **** unless the rest of the cooling system is working like it should.

JMO

later

93 Cobra

Last edited by 95CobraofDeath; 08-09-2002 at 07:59 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-09-2002, 07:58 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 95CobraofDeath
[B]

double post...

93 Cobra
post #9 of 14 Old 08-09-2002, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

I put in a high flow waterpump, and a 180 therm. i think. on the note of the fan, should i go with the ford fan, or put im a aftermarket fan???
post #10 of 14 Old 08-10-2002, 04:32 AM

Thumbs up

Dont get an aftermarket unit, Go to Ford! Here's why, I had my recall done 2 months ago the car ran hot for around a year, I went back got a Brand New Fan! And its cool 24/7. They will replace it at NO charge. Save the money you'd be using for a new one and put it toward a mod

post #11 of 14 Old 08-10-2002, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

I'm just wondering if a hi flow thermastst will cause this problem? I've heard that if you go with to much flow in the cooling system, that the water doesent have enough time to cool properly. That is why race cars (dirt, and sprint) run just a washer instead of a actuall thermastat. They just fine tune the hole (bigger or smaller) untill they get the temp they want. If anyone has had a problem with this, please chime in.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-12-2002, 04:53 PM

If you are expecting a Fuidyne to make your car automatically run cold, it won't. Mine still runs in the "R" to "M" range. But that is where the high speed fan kicks in and it won't go above that. If I had my fan come on sooner like I did in my 94, it would stay wherever that was. I was driving around in 105 temp yesterday and it did not go above that point. With my stock rad it would have been up in the "L" range.

Terry Patton
Sold this one now... 95 5 speed 'vert...now with Fluidyne radiator, Pullies, 65mm TB, Bullet 75MAF, WMS Cold Air Induction w/ K&N, PBR 2 piston caliper brake upgrade.

THE 94 HAS BEEN TOTALED 3/19/02...LONG LIVE THE 95!!!

Used to have a:
94gt Convertible w/AODE (OINK!)
JMS Chip, Romac Balancer, Art Carr modified valve body and some internal upgrades, Borla cat-back, FMS 3.73 gears, FMS "B" springs & Tokico non-adjustables, Hotchkis CC plates

In my garage waitin' for heads...Cobra intake, 1.7RR's
post #13 of 14 Old 08-12-2002, 05:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Before you start buying new fans and radiators, just the basic stuff. Take the radiator in to have it cleaned out. I just noticed some slimy mildew on the next of my radiatior. I think it needs a flush. I also noticed that my temp now stays around "R", highest "M", a few months ago it would kick it in the "O" all the time.

94 GT w/Gold Package|Zip Tie Accelerator Pedal Mod|Silencer & Dog Bone Removed|MM 4 Point K-Member Brace|GoodYear GatorBack Belt|Romac Balancer|Pro 5.0 Shifter|Mac O/R X-Pipe|Magna Flows|Sachs Clutch|Wazee Aluminum P/S & Idler Pulleys|K&N Filter|OEM 94 Cobra Instrument Cluster|65MM FRPP TB|HD Bilsteins|H&R Race Springs|MM Caster Camber Plates|3.73s FRPP|
post #14 of 14 Old 08-12-2002, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

If i put in the new fluidine rad. befor i get the recall done, will they still do the recall??? And what is the recall all about??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement