Charging system problem(long) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 08-01-2002, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question Charging system problem(long)

Ok heres my third post in 5 minutes. I am new to this board and have so many questions. I am wondering if anyone may have suggestions for me.

About 2 weeks ago I was driving and my Battery Gauge went from about the middle to about 1/4 to the left, like I am running on Battery alone. I charged my battery that night and the next day all was well, until the drive home it did it again.

I stopped at Auto Zone and got me a new battery. Still in parking lot I changed it and it still read bad (about a 1/4 of the way up).
The dude came out and checked it with their charging system troubleshooter and it said their was a wire problem from the Alt to the battery.

Having not ever changed my ALT I figured I could use a new one anyway. I went and got one from NAPA put it on and it works great for about a week and a half. Then today "Boom" it happend again. I had my air on and it would slow down the fan, occationally I would put it in neutrel and REV high , the gauge would go back full strenght and the air too. Doesent alway work every time I REV.

I dont think it can be a fuse, or the fuseable link because it does go back to normal sometimes. I geuss I could look at my wires again, what do you guys think. Sorry so long trying to avoid taking it in. $$$$$$$$$ ya know. Thanks , Jesse 94 GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-01-2002, 09:03 PM

This is my opinion on this. When you its hot outside you will definately run up to the point that the high speed fan on creating a great pull on the charging system. If you have the A/C on not only does the high speed cooling fan come on but also the fan for the a/c. This is just my opinion. I have a autometer voltage guage that is very accurate and you can see the drop in voltage especially when the cooling system high speed fan comes on!!!

post #3 of 3 Old 08-01-2002, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Yea I can see your point. But this is happening with no air or nothing on and as soon as I start it now. On my way home today it jumped back to normal for about 5 seconds then back to bad. My dash lights and everything are effected. I hope I get it fixed soon I already sunk $300 dollars into this problem alone. I just looked at my Alt receipt and its from July 10, 2002 it came back August 2, 2002. Not so long. Thanks for your reply. Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement