won't start - don't think its the battery - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-25-2002, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
won't start - don't think its the battery

went to start my car this morning, seemed fine until i turned the key and it seemed as though the battery was dead. we tried jumping it a few times, let the car sit there charging for like 10-15 minutes went to crank it over, sounded like it tried turning over but only for a second or two. took the batter to autozone they hooked it up to test/charge it and said it already had a good charge to it. so, its not the battery... wtf is it?
if i try to start the car now the starter just clicks over and over. the accessories slow down too as if the battery was dying. im pissed, i had stuff to do today too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-26-2002, 01:20 PM

Check your connections. Make sure the battery connections are clean and snug, as well as the wire(s) to the starter and the connections at the starter solenoid.

If it cranks slowly, then it's most likely the battery or a bad connection. I don't trust the test. Borrow a battery and see if that makes a difference. Or if you can jump start it, then definitely suspect the battery.

If it just clicks, it may still be the battery, but it could also be the starter solenoid.

Last, I'd suspect the starter.

post #3 of 7 Old 07-26-2002, 01:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
take a wire brush to the battery terminals. if there is acid built up that could be your problem. if not, maybe your ignition let go. the one on my car is awefully loose and I was expecting that to happen sooner or later.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-27-2002, 02:16 PM

Did you figure it out?

If not, here is something else to check. My car would randomly not start and did exactly what you describe. I killed 1 alternator and 1 battery until I figured it out.

look on the negative battery terminal, there is a small black wire that comes off of it... and attaches to the car right in front of the battery. Mine was slightly loose, and I mean SLIGHTLY! I disconnected it and used the dremel to get all the paint off in that area, and attached it with a nut and bolt. That was like 2 years ago, and I have not had it happen again!!

Just something else for you to check.... ya never know.

good luck!!
post #5 of 7 Old 07-27-2002, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

auto-zone people are complete morons, they didnt look to see if it had any water in the battery, it was bone dry when we looked. just bought a new battery and it starts right up, but now i have a problem with my alarm.

see this thread for explanation...

https://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...hreadid=137499
post #6 of 7 Old 07-27-2002, 11:53 PM

Yup, parts store employees are not always competent. I hope that was the problem for you. Check that little wire anyway,, for piece of mind!!

good luck!
post #7 of 7 Old 07-27-2002, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

i just wish i could get my remote to work for my alarm. i cant unlock/lock the doors with it any more and have to use the key which sucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement