Big red wire going to alternator - BURNT TO CRISP - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-25-2002, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Big red wire going to alternator - BURNT TO CRISP

I just intalled the paxton Novi 2000. Before this everything was fine. But after running it for a week or so i started experianceing problems. If i went over a big bump the car would die. So i started looking under the car and found out that the big red wire going to the alternator is burnt to crisp. I wiggeled it around some and it literally fell off and crumbled in about 100 pieces. Should i just go ahead and replace it and see what happens? I dont want any electrical fires!!! Any cause of why it would do this??? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-25-2002, 07:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Was the entire length of the wire burned, or just part of it? A loose or corroded connection will increase resistance in that area and cause it to heat up.

But if it was the entire length, then something else is wrong. Maybe a bad voltage regulator in the alternator? Just a guess... I'd test the alternator anyway (many parts places do free testing).

As for replacement wire, you might be able to find the wire, etc. to replace it at Home Depot. I've bought wire there for my car that actually says "oil reistant" on the insulation. They cut it to length for you. They also have heavy duty connectors that are at least as good as what was originally on there.

Be sure to check adjacent wires and hoses that may have been damaged by the heat as well.

post #3 of 3 Old 07-25-2002, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
I replaced the wire and looked around the engine. There was a huge black ground wire comming from the battery i think that was just chillin on a bolt, wobbeling around. Hopefully that fixes it. Alternator was shot too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement