*Fox guys: Add this to your knowledge pool - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-16-2012, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
I'm a Fox Body expert 'cuz I say so.

Trader Feedback: (7)
*Fox guys: Add this to your knowledge pool

Maybe this is old news but I've had foxbodys for 15 years and this was a first.

I had an intermittent issue with the blower motor and blinkers not working on my 92 LX. Taking the logical route I assumed fuses, switches in the HVAC system etc. The actual issue was the ignition switch. I defies logic, but it seems when the ignition switch starts going out it will cause these types of maddening issues.

To test this theory if you are having this same issue turn your key back or forward until you feel slight resistance then try the blinkers or blower motor.

Obviously this isn't a fix all as so many other issues could be causing it the blower motor or blinkers not to work, however this is a fix for one of the electrical issues that sends people on parts buying binges that don't solve the problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-16-2012, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Just finished removing the old switch. Literally fell apart when I removed the column cover. Give these a check people's they have burned many cars, and or ruined the wiring harness.

post #3 of 8 Old 06-16-2012, 02:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
such an easy cheap fix. I finally realized mine was bad when the car wouldn't satay running once i released the key. Was 30 minutes from home, i had to position the key to where the fuel pump etc would run and jump across the solenoid. Nothing like driving down the road and having your car keep driving, while your try to re position the key to the exact spot to make it run again once i took the cover off the switch just fell -apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-17-2012, 10:45 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Zip tie that thing up tight to the column, even if you just replaced it.

'94 GT, White, Cobra hood & bumper cover, '95R wheels
393w, Vic Jr 60cc, XE282HR, Victor 5.8 EFI, 80# injectors, Hooker LT 1 3/4 to 3", Borla proXS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T56 w/ AJE xmember, McLeod street twin, MM/Bilstein '03 IRS, JRi Agent47 SLA
Megasquirt
post #5 of 8 Old 06-17-2012, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seijirou View Post
Zip tie that thing up tight to the column, even if you just replaced it.
Always good insurance.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-17-2012, 11:35 AM

Trader Feedback: (40)
i swapped an '87 steering column into my '92 a while back, and swapped the '92 stalk in place of the '87 one (wipers, turn signals, and high beams). I had read that the '87 stalk is different and would require some rewiring to work with the newer wiring, but was under the impression that if I used my '92 stalk, everything would basically be the same as if it had the newer column still in it and no rewiring would be necessary. Well I finally got around to plugging everything in, and my turn signals dont work, but my hi-beams and wipers work.

I'm using the ignition switch from the '87, and maybe its bad and could be my problem. I will report back
post #7 of 8 Old 09-09-2012, 12:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWISTED89GT View Post
Maybe this is old news but I've had foxbodys for 15 years and this was a first.

I had an intermittent issue with the blower motor and blinkers not working on my 92 LX. Taking the logical route I assumed fuses, switches in the HVAC system etc. The actual issue was the ignition switch. I defies logic, but it seems when the ignition switch starts going out it will cause these types of maddening issues.

To test this theory if you are having this same issue turn your key back or forward until you feel slight resistance then try the blinkers or blower motor.

Obviously this isn't a fix all as so many other issues could be causing it the blower motor or blinkers not to work, however this is a fix for one of the electrical issues that sends people on parts buying binges that don't solve the problem.

Definitely added!!!,,I've been throwing money and parts at my 91 ssp like a mad man to figure out why my AC cut out at the same times my blinkers did intermittently and this was golden info to me and fixed the issue completely,thank you sir,would have never thought of this switch
post #8 of 8 Old 09-15-2012, 04:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Garage
Very common problem. All the older Fords from back in those days has Ign. switch issues. Its generally the first thing you should check, actually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement