Occasional problem with driver window - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-20-2012, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Occasional problem with driver window

The other day I went to roll up my windows at work and the drivers side window wouldn't go up a few hrs later on my next break I tried again and it went up and down just fine. Now a few days later it is stuck down again but will not go back up. Any suggestions to fix would be appreciated

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-21-2012, 12:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
You could go and take the panel out for the driver side window switch and see whats going on. Most likely the master switch panel on the driver size the contacts go out after a while which send power to the passenger side also I beleive.

When it doesnt work try using the passenger side to roll it up. If it doesnt work either its most likely the driver side thats bad.

post #3 of 5 Old 05-21-2012, 10:46 PM

FWIIW, the Mustang's power windows are protected by an automatic reset circuit breaker in the engine bay and in the window motor itself. This explains why it doesn't work and then does.

If the CB is tripping, likely it's because the motor is drawing too much power. The most likely reason is worn bearings or the window is binding in the track.

Suggest starting by doing a functional test of the window motor directly from a power source. If the window works fine, this points to a wiring problem. Otherwise it's time for a new motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-22-2012, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Well I took off the panel pushed the switch up and tapped motor and it works again so I'm gonna order a motor

post #5 of 5 Old 06-21-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02PONY View Post
Well I took off the panel pushed the switch up and tapped motor and it works again so I'm gonna order a motor

something else that I found on mine was that the wire coating was being stripped by the door causing shorts. Two different spots on the wire and depending on where the wire was sitting it would or wouldn't work. The power window design on this car (if mine was not mutilated by previous owner) really baffles me. Take a look at the pic here and you can see where I taped one and then found another. Picture is from the passenger door looking towards the dash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0054.jpg (86.7 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement