Where to Ground the Battery? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-11-2012, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Where to Ground the Battery?

Hey guys. I've got a 98 4.6 Cobra and I can't get a good ground connection when I use the factor stud on the left side engine mount.

I've cleaned the threads until they shine, and used a new heavier cable, but the motor won't spin over right now. I tried a temporary setup using jumper cables and it cranked better than ever, so I am sure the problem is in my ground connection (many thanks to the person who suggested that in another thread, thank you!!!)

So, what am I missing? Is there somewhere else that I could get a better ground on the engine? I have not been able to pull the stud out, is it threaded in there or welded in place? If it is threaded and the threads underneath are too rusty then I'm afraid I'll break it off, so I'm trying to think ahead to alternatives....or just an easier place to ground it...

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-11-2012, 01:05 PM

Where did you put the battery charger cables? If you put them on the battery directly and that got the starter turning faster, then that means you just have a low battery. If you put the charger cables directly to the starter solenoid and that did the trick, then yes it may be a poor ground or other cable connection issue.

The ground stud bolt is threaded into the block.

post #3 of 6 Old 05-11-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks TL.

I didn't actually try to jumpstart it with any other power source, I just hooked one end of the jumper cables to the battery and the other end to another point on the engine (basically creating a new ground cable temporarily). Battery turned over just fine then, so that doesn't seem to be a battery issue, but a ground issue. Also, it did this with an old battery and a new battery I bought trying to solve the problem. I've since had it tested twice out of the car at Auto Zone and Advance Auto just to make sure, so I am feeling good about the battery. I'll try to get the stud out and put a new one in. Anyone with thoughts on an alternative ground location? Thanks everyone, and thanks TurboLou for the info!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-13-2012, 11:23 AM

OK, misunderstood what you tried, that makes sense now. I don't know that there is really a better place to connect the battery ground to the engine than the stock location.

One thing you could try is to temporarily jumper from the grounding stud location over to the starter mounting bolt. If the starter runs better, then you know you have a voltage drop between the ground cable/stud location and the starter body that grounds itself to the block.

Batt Neg Post ---------->Ground Stud--------Jumper------->Starter Bolt
post #5 of 6 Old 05-15-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Thank TurboLou! i tried using jumper wires...For some reason I had no ground at the stud. Solution - use something that some of the newer cars are doing - ground it at the alternator bracket....

Just for fun, I bought a 24" inch 2 gauge cable at the parts house. I sanded off the alternator bracket and grounded to it. Cranked the first try, and had a better reading on the guage than the day I bought the car! The cable is wrapped in clear, plus I bought gold plated connections for the small grounds at the negative post, so the setup looks pretty cool actually. So, I think I'll turn my temporary test into a permanent solution and not worry about trying to ground on the motor mount. Thanks everyone!
post #6 of 6 Old 05-15-2012, 01:39 PM

Good deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement