Puttin a carbed 302 in my 87 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 04-28-2012, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Puttin a carbed 302 in my 87

What wires can I get rid of I know I don't need the computer abvious and the harness but there's wires goin from the computer over to the other side by the booster so what can I cut

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-04-2012, 08:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (37)
EFI to Carburetor Conversion Summarized Procedure

Read the posts on link above. I added some info from my own experience on my 88 conversion. Some of the wiring was different in my car. Jason fletcher was original writer but his site fltcher's carb'ed mustangs is gone. His artical is also based on his 90. I actually have fletchers original writing. I printed it many years ago knowing some day it prob woulden't be available. I found these folks had posted it on their site.

When I first converted my car to mass air I realized that only a 89 harness would work as it has both the black and grey 8 pin connectors by the windshield wiper motor. Not sure about the 90 harness. It might be compatibale but 91 up sure isn't. I wasted a lot of money buying 2 different harnesses before realizing this. Even the ford racing conversion harness is wrong for 87/88. I never bought a 90 harness so I don't know much about it. So harnesses did change over the years.

After becoming very frustrated with this artical I choose to re-trace everything using a haynes microscopic schematic and found some different stuff for my 88. I work on electronics and industrial machinary/robotics for a living and have a very good undersdanding of how to read electrical schematics. If you don't understand how to refrence a pages where the wire ends this will confuse the hell out of you. They don't always go to the next page.

I traced all lines in different colors with a ruler to make it easy. Each run I went to my car to make sure the wires were physically there. I used alligator clip jumpers to make all connections to make sure it worked then I cut my old 88 speed density harness 8 pin connectors, re-pinned them and made my own harness from the factory connector so I would not have to tap in on the firewall side. Your 87 should be the same as mine. I was one of the last posters and explained what I found that was different on my car. Same user name as here. This artical is a huge help if you apply my findings to it, azhatchback.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement