LEDs in HVAC housing? Oh yeah I did it. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 04-14-2012, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (7)
LEDs in HVAC housing? Oh yeah I did it.

Before I start I wanna give a special thanks to Scott Hrbacek. He is known on here for his custom installs in clusters but this is a first for him. With detailed photos, measuring, and some (counted over 50) emails, we were able to come up with what I will need for this job. He also set me up with a nice strip for my cluster

Tools needed:
Small Flathead
Cleaner
Exact-o-knife or small precision blade
Q-tips
painters caulk
These instructions

First I located a HVAC for my 95 worthy of a LED upgrade:
Found this from a great (perfect condition) HVAC control unit on ebay for 20.00. Not sure how the seller does it, but he manages to have older parts in like new condition:

Next I gently pulled the face off by dong the following:

Place the tip of the screwdriver at the backend of the clip opening:

With VERY MINIMAL amounts of pressure turn the head of the screwdriver (NOTE MY FIRST ROTATION):

If it does NOT unseat DO NOT APPLY PRESSURE!!! Simply rotate the screwdriver the opposite direction. Maintain one side of that flat head at the backside of the opening at all times. It will easily unseat. Like so:

This is what happens if you apply even the smallest amount of pressure (old practice HVAC):

Gently do all but the last pic to the rest of the clips and pull the face off:

I cleaned the inside out with a Q-tip and Pledge cleaner for electronics and plastics. Then I began to roll out the pre-measured LED strip Scott provided me. He also soldered a connector on the end for me. Cannot beat that!

The wires were fed through the upper, of the two, light sockets and then twisted into place:

Sorry, no time for pics as I laid it, but I basically rolled it into place all the way around:
Starting here:

The Strip covered all but 1.25" in the bottom corner. I planned for a slight shortage (NOTE THE ANGULATION OF THE DIFFUSER IN THAT CORNER). Plus 18" of LEDs in this little thing should be PLENTY!!

I put a bit of painters caulk in the openings that are no longer being used. This will assure the wires stay coiled up in the upper opening as well.

Next the tabs NEED to be trimmed back so that they can still clip, but also clear the LED strip that os now running the parameter of the housing. Just look at the size of the opening wher the tab/lip is suppose to go and cut back to there. Here is mine:

With the face clipped on you can see where the clip stops and the backside of the LED strip starts:

Nice and clean:

From the outside it looks as OEM as it gets:

I will be swapping this in soon. l try and get pics of the lights up and running.

95 Mustang-
Performance- Eibach Coils, tube K-Member, Cobra brakes with Stoptech rotors. For Sale.

Last edited by My95tang5.0; 04-28-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-14-2012, 05:14 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
That is pretty cool, can't wait to see pics of it installed. Nice write up.

Daniel, Previous car's: Grey 85 GT, Black 93 5.0 LX Hatch, White 85 GT w/T-tops. Current car: Cabernet Red and Titanium 88 GT Convertible.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-22-2012, 12:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (38)
Nice any pics of it light up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue93hatch View Post
I spec'd my whole build to fit a cold air intake I had
Sponsored Links
Advertisement