Where is ground for Oxygen sensors ? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-23-2002, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Where is ground for Oxygen sensors ?

IS there suppose to be a ground on the O2 sensor harness? THere are 3 connectors on my harness. 2 are going to the O2 sensors and the othe wire goes to the some sensor in the side of the oil pan... what is that sensor for and what is it called? I took my harness from a 89 GT Mustang in the junkyard. Im trying to figure out why my car is running like a V6 with a rough idle... I dont know if this makes a difference but the braided wire thats on the firewall I have it grounded on the bellhousing bolt on the tranny. and the orange wire coming from the fuel injector harness is grounded on one of the upper intake bolts.

88 LX 5sp
Ported stock intake, GT40P Heads, ASP crank pulley, Ford Motorsport shorty headers, Mac O/R H-pipe, Flowmasters, Tri-ax shifter, King Cobra Clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-24-2002, 01:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
The O2 signal ground is the orange wire. Sounds like its connected just fine. The sensor on the oil pan is the oil level sender (triggers idiot light when oil is ~1 quart low).

post #3 of 7 Old 07-24-2002, 02:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
The orange wire comming from the Fuel Injector harness is ground for that harness. Orignally it is connected to the drivers side-rear intake bolt. The braided ground strap was connected from the same bolt to the firewall. If the two are not connected together this could cause a poor ground and the engine to run very rich. You can either connect them there, or at one of the bellhousing bolts, as long as they are together.

The oxygen sensors do not have a ground wire. They are ground through the body of the sensor to the h-pipe. The oxygen sensors have 3 wires going to them:

- B+ for O2 heater
- Ground for O2 heater

The heater circuit has nothing to do with how the computer reads the sensors. It is only there to assist the sensors in reaching propper operating temperature.

- B+ to O2 sensor

This is the wire the computer reads for voltage changes and it works on a 0-1v scale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-24-2002, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

MINE are not together.. I have the braided line on bolted on the bellhousng bolt and the orange wire on the intake.... Tomorrow I will put them on the same bolt.. could I have cause some type of damage... I've had it this way for about a month and my car has never ran correctly.... But its just hard to believe 1 wire can cause the type of problem I have... My car runs like a (SLOW) V6 and has a rough idle.

88 LX 5sp
Ported stock intake, GT40P Heads, ASP crank pulley, Ford Motorsport shorty headers, Mac O/R H-pipe, Flowmasters, Tri-ax shifter, King Cobra Clutch
post #5 of 7 Old 07-24-2002, 04:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Fascat,

Hope you get this figured out! I replied several times to your other thread a few days ago. I forgot to add the other day that both of mine were grounded together at the same location. That could make a difference as Blue88Notch suggested.

Good luck
Casey

-- Casey
1989 GT
2009 Mazda Speed 3
2006 Mazda Speed 6 (wife's car)
post #6 of 7 Old 07-25-2002, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Im gonna ground them in the same spot but it just doesnt seem like grounding 2 wires will make my car run like its suppose too... has anyone else ever had a problem like this?

88 LX 5sp
post #7 of 7 Old 07-25-2002, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

tt]

88 LX 5sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement