Changing engine harness, need help - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-21-2012, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Unhappy Changing engine harness, need help

Gentlemen,
I have an 87 mustang. Originally speed density that was converted to mass-air. The previous owner spliced in the mass air and VSS as far as I can tell. I'm going to assume they spliced into the fuel pump relay beneath the drivers seat too, because with this old harness fuel pump doesn't prime if the relay is disconnected. I can see two wires that are spliced into the EEC pins for VSS. These wires go from the EEC 60-pin connector, over the transmission tunnel to the driverside and then through the firewall. I'm not sure where they go from there.

I'm not switching the old harness out for what I was told is an 89 mass-air harness. The harness is noticably different than my current one (see picture). It looks like the fuel pump relay is located on the harness itself, very close to the EEC (left side of the picture).

The only thing preventing me from pulling what remains of the old harness out through the firewall is the spliced in wires for the VSS. If I cut these wires is the EEC still going to get the VSS signal when I plug in the new harness?

I'll be surprised if anybody can understand what I'm saying here. I know I'm confused. How the heck do I make everything in the car communicate with this new harness!?!

Thanks,
Jim

- Jim
87 Hatch.
5.0L w/S-Trim + supporting parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-21-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

did a little more investigation. seems like the piece i am refering to maybe the eec power relay.

anyway. i still need to know how to get vss and the fuel pump relay functional... do i need to splice anything or can i just cut the old splice away from the harness and everything with work properly?

thanks again

- Jim
87 Hatch.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-21-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

bump

- Jim
87 Hatch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-21-2012, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

tough crowd today.

can anybody tell me how the factory ran the VSS from the transmission connection back to the body (and eventually back to the EEC?)

- Jim
87 Hatch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement