car died while driving, now the key does nothing - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 03-20-2012, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Garage
Question car died while driving, now the key does nothing

so sunday was first day i got to drive my car since november. i did a 4 wheel disc swap, new booster, master, front coil overs, rear weight jackers and some interior stuff. didnt mess with anything to do with how the car ran or started... its an 88 with maf conversion that i did and h/c/i.

yesterday, i was driving down the road about half a mile from home. the car just died like i turned the key off. i got a ride to autoparts store and i changed the ignition switch on the side of the road and that did nothing.

the male plug for ignition switch looks a little melted/warped/cracked.
with a volt meter, one of the ports on male plug reads same voltage that i have across battery.
with door open, and key in ignition, i get chime.
horn honks
headlights work
hazards dont
when i turn the key, nothing happens. no fuel pump prime, no check engine light flash, motor doesnt turn over. i actuated the switch with key,and a screw driver and neither worked.
i believe there was some smoke around column when car died, but it all happened so fast, idk

one last thing, my solenoid and wiring is in my fender... i did a full wire tuck. so any suggestions before i pull the fender and go through all that? im horrible at electrical
thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement