WONT START! Out of ideas!!! Please help! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-12-2012, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
WONT START! Out of ideas!!! Please help!

Ok so I just swapped a 5.0 into an 89 GT shell that I bought. Its got e303 cam, roller rockers, Trickflow street burner intake, MSD cap, wires, 6AL box and blaster SS.

The car will crank but wont start. I had fuel in the rails but no spark. I changed the TFI and now I have spark but no fuel. The pump wont even prime when I turn the key. Now I have no fuel in the rails. I have tried everything I can think of.

Ive checked:

fuel pump relay: has power to pink/black wire and lt blue/orange wire.
EEC relay: I have power at the injectors
inertia switch: have power in and out
all fusible links are good.
have power to TPS

The car will start briefly on starting fluid so I know its a fuel problem. I dont think the pump is bad because its an aftermarket pump that came with the car. And it was working just a few days ago and nothing has changed except I changed the solenoid and the TFI.

Is there anything else that could cause the fuel pump to stop kicking?

Any help would be great guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-17-2012, 10:25 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
does the FP relay pull in?

just because you have power to it doesn't mean it works, try ohming the relay coil.

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-22-2012, 10:30 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
try jumping ther fuel pump relay... (all you should have to do is apply a ground that is what the ECM does..) I have had that part of an ECM go bad before...

88 Sonic blue coupe...-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RIP
89 GT Convertible - Sold it!
2000 Kona Blue GT Convertible 4V
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Sonic Blue GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-22-2012, 10:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
that doesn't show anything about the signal to the relay.

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-22-2012, 01:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Pretty sure it is pin#22.... This is the ground for the relay... the relay is powered all the time that the key is on... Just gets a grond when the ecm tells it to run. (The fiew seconds of priming and while it receives a signal from the TFI that it is running. ) (This is al so the far left terminal on the diagnostic connector while looking at it with the 2 pins on the bottom...)

88 Sonic blue coupe...-
RIP
89 GT Convertible - Sold it!
2000 Kona Blue GT Convertible 4V

2005 Sonic Blue GT

Last edited by An82Mustang; 04-22-2012 at 02:00 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-23-2012, 01:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
There is a main power relay that needs to come on, in order for the ecu to turn on. No ecu power and you'll get no ground to the fuel pump relay.

However, if you have power on both sides of your inertia switch that tells a lot because it is downstream of all of the above. So if that's true we can know the main power relay works, the ecu is providing ground to the fuel pump relay, and the fuel pump relay works too.

So either you have bad wiring between the inertia switch and the fuel pump itself, or your fuel pump is dead.

'94 GT, White, Cobra hood & bumper cover, '95R wheels
393w, Vic Jr 60cc, XE282HR, Victor 5.8 EFI, 80# injectors, Hooker LT 1 3/4 to 3", Borla proXS

T56 w/ AJE xmember, McLeod street twin, MM/Bilstein '03 IRS, JRi Agent47 SLA
Megasquirt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement