Battery in trunk mod - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-22-2002, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Battery in trunk mod

Who has done this? Any tips? How hard is it? What supplies do I need? Any tuturial sites about this?

Please don't say something like "get a Moroso kit" because I am not going to spend that kind of money, and I don't race the car.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Dodge Viper RT/10 - TNT 300 shot, VEC2, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-22-2002, 10:37 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Be sure not to allow the hot wire to touch the mufflers when the car is lowered and wire tie the hell out of them and use a grommet. They have a way of rubbing everywhere and shorting out if not done well (like mine). Be sure to at least ground it to the frame if not all the way up to the block too or Engine/EEC/idle problems can occur do to low voltage readings. Been there, done that too.

Good luck

Got 10s? [NA]
post #3 of 7 Old 07-22-2002, 10:45 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I did this mod to my 89 Coupe, I dont recommend it for a daily driver though. Keep it in the front. But if you must, make sure you use thicker wire. Many people have used cheap crap and have hard times starting their car.

94 Oxford White GT. 18" Saleen wheels with BFG Drag Radials. Vortech S-Trim, etc. 89 Oxford White Notchback. Chrome Pony Wheels, Full exhaust, Pulleys, yadda yadda yadda, 94 GT Vert (Stockish cruiser)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-22-2002, 03:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Well.... u know Summit does sell a battery relocation kit for 40 bucks. might be better off with that, then to play with figuring out how to make one.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-22-2002, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by poostang
Well.... u know Summit does sell a battery relocation kit for 40 bucks. might be better off with that, then to play with figuring out how to make one.
I have the box already. My friend relocated his battery to the trunk in his 93 LX. He gave me his box, when he upgraded to the NHRA approved Moroso sealed enclosure.

I just need to run the wires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 Old 07-22-2002, 03:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (18)
Quote:
Originally posted by Fordman50
Be sure not to allow the hot wire to touch the mufflers when the car is lowered and wire tie the hell out of them and use a grommet. They have a way of rubbing everywhere and shorting out if not done well (like mine). Be sure to at least ground it to the frame if not all the way up to the block too or Engine/EEC/idle problems can occur do to low voltage readings. Been there, done that too.

Good luck
Let me add one critical piece of info to Fordman's informative post:

Please remember that the rear suspension WILL COMPRESS and that might cause the hot wire to come incontact with the hot tailpipes even when it looks like there is no way in hell that it could touch.

Yes, this is what happened to me and it nearly burned my car to the ground.

As far as performing this mod: Everything you need can be bought somewhere local. I used 4 gauge welding cable for my hot and ground (and its actually better than what comes in the kits. Have you ever seen how tightly wound the welding cable is?

) I bought it for around $.75 a foot.

By the appropiate "J" hooks at a local hardware store, and a local fishing or sporting good store should have battery boxes.

Not sure if this route is cheaper than going with a kit, but I like the idea of running the better grade cable than what you get in the kits.

Good luck.

94 GT Vert
DART Block 347 ~ Vortech S-trim ~ AFR 185's ~ Aeromotive Fuel System ~ 55lb. injectors ~ AFM PMS ~ SMC Alky inject.
657 rwhp; 628.5 tq
My Pics...

Tow Vehicle: 04 V8 Touareg

post #7 of 7 Old 07-22-2002, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

My friend actually his battery cable inside of his tubular subframes. That was a cool idea.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement