Very Dim Headlights - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 02-18-2012, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Very Dim Headlights

I just picked up my vert last Saturday. It was all Interstate driving back home so I didn't get to see how bad the headlights are until last night, when I almost couldn't get back to my house after dark. The headlight housings are a bit faded, but I can't imagine that's the only reason behind this.

The car has a dual fan set-up that is on a switch, not a thermal controller. It bugs the piss out of me, but I haven't had time to grab a thermal controller to rewire everything yet. Either way, it has the draw of a dual fan set-up.

After getting home I started looking at things and it appears the car has an underdrive crank pulley. Do these actually make any improvement in performance? Doesn't this cause the alternator to no spin at the needed speeds to keep the system charged and operating at a reasonable voltage?

On the subject of the alternator, it's still a 2G and there's no telling how worn out are the internals. I ordered a 3G conversion harness and I'll pick up an alternator soon... is it possible that will resolve my issues?

Kinda just looking for suggestions on what I can check should the 3G swap not work out. The car is not my daily driver, but I want it to be reliable enough to take over temporarily if I break my Jeep on a trail ride. If the underdrive pulleys are known for causing the problem and a 3G alternator won't make up the difference, I guess I need to look at going back to stock on the pulleys.

2012 Wrangler Unlimited, built.
1991 Mustang LX convertible, 5.0/AOD, BBK short ram intake, BBK X, Magnaflows, laundry list of things to fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement