Ford Mustang Forums banner

90' Charging Problem

812 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Warlock1 
#1 ·
I started having an intermittent charging problem at first. I could drive it and it would be fine then the next minute it wouldn't be charging. I checked battery and alternator. Both tested good, but replaced them anyways. Checked fusable link, engine, and chassis grounds. It had got worse and worse to where it wouldn't charge at all. At first I could hit the frame under the dash and it would start charging. I tore the dash panel off and started pecking around, seemed to charge everytime that I would tap a relay. Figured out it was the Electronic Engine Control (EEC). I replaced with new EEC and it acted fine for a month. Now not charging again. Replaced the relay again, still nothing. It now drains down after not driving it for a week. After charging the battery, the only way I can get the alt to charge is by taking a test light and jumpering it over from my positive battery to the alt then releasing. It seems as if it isn't getting a signal to tell it to charge. Once I trick it into charging , all voltages/guages are fine until I turn off the ignition. Then back to square one. Any suggestions to where to specifically look?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.