Airbag light - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-19-2002, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Airbag light

Well, for whatever reason, my air bag light is now on. Any clues or hints to possible issues before I tear the car apart looking for answers? Fuses...connections...

I haven't touched anything in its circut, so I don't know what the deal is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-19-2002, 04:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Did you disconnect your battery or did it die recently? You may have a code 52.

94 Oxford White GT. 18" Saleen wheels with BFG Drag Radials. Vortech S-Trim, etc. 89 Oxford White Notchback. Chrome Pony Wheels, Full exhaust, Pulleys, yadda yadda yadda, 94 GT Vert (Stockish cruiser)
post #3 of 7 Old 07-19-2002, 05:55 PM

easy fix

easy fix, unless you have a bad module...I took my passenger side air bag out to paint it and I drove it while it was out and that is when I got my light.
Anyway, there's a pigtail (connector) under the gove box, use a wire to jump the 2 pins in that connector and wait for the chime, as soon as you hear the chime, pull the wire out...I think the key has to be on, but not the engine......if this doesn't work, you may have other problems, but your codes should tell you for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-20-2002, 01:32 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
It's your imagination. There is no air bag light. There is no light. There is no air.
There is .... no nothing.
That's what you get for not doing a search.

What's the code?

But, then again, there is no code. There is no light. There is no counting. ...

Joe - 86 Mustang GT with ABS!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
M-2300K brakes, Mach1 Springs, D178 rims, and 245/45/17 RE730 tires. Car Pictures: http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/misc/Mustang1986_with_Mach1_springs/
post #5 of 7 Old 07-20-2002, 02:55 AM

My air bag comes on and blinks about every other time I drive my car, although no codes show up. Any ideas of what it could be? Oh yeah, same thing with ABS.

Andy

SCCA Cobra - Sorry, I dont mean to take from your post
post #6 of 7 Old 07-20-2002, 03:47 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
(P.S. See my sig )
I'm in the process of making may pages easier to read. For now, you still have to sort through a bunch of stuff. They have GROWN A LOT over the years. I need to break them up to make them easier to find stuff. They should be done by Sept. But, don't hold your breath.

Most common problems with the air bags is the clock spring - easy to replace. For 94/95's, they also throw errors if the battery was disconnected.

For Air Bags:
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te.../airBag95.html

o The air bag diagnostic monitor (14B056) illuminates the air bag indicator for approximately six seconds when the ignition switch (11572) is turned to RUN and then turns the air bag indicator off. This indicates that the air bag indicator is operational. If the air bag indicator does not illuminate at all, stays on continuously, or flashes at any time, then a fault has been detected by the air bag diagnostic monitor.

o Diagnostic trouble codes, if present, will begin flashing within 30 seconds after the ignition switch has been turned to RUN. This is the amount of time it takes the air bag diagnostic monitor to perform all tests and verify system faults, if present.

o Diagnostic trouble codes are displayed as a series of flashes and pauses of the air bag indicator. Diagnostic trouble codes are two-digit numbers.

Example: A DTC 32 is displayed as follows:

flash flash flash - (two second pause) -
flash flash - (five second pause)...

flash flash flash - (two second pause) -
flash flash - (five second pause)...

For ABS:
The most common problems are if all four tires are not the same size. After that, the wheel sensors have a tendency to break when a rock hits them. Simple to replace. They are held on by one bolt. You can get a new sensor for ~$50. Some take off junk yards also sell them dirt cheap.

For ABS:
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...sDiagInfo.html

My rule#1: ALL problems with ECC and ABS, **must** first have the error codes read. Otherwise, you waste your time guessing. It's ~$30 for an ECC reader and free for ABS codes. If you get a code "78", the problem is probably with the different size tires. *ANY* error, and the ABS is disabled. Here is a diagram of the ABS diagnostic connector.

Testing the ABS unit/wiring
If all is ok, when you turn the ignition key to "on" the ABS indicator light will come on for a few seconds, and then go out. If it stays on, then the power-on diagnostics have detected a problem. To read the error codes out of the ABS unit, you ground the Orange/White wire at the ABS diagnostic connector (with the ignition turned off), and then turn the ignition key to "on". The ABS indicator light will flash the number of times to indicate the first digit of the first error code, followed by a short pause, and then flash the number of times to indicate the second digit of the first error code. There will then be a longer pause, then it will repeat for the second error code, and so forth. The ABS unit holds the error codes in memory for a certain number of power-on/power-off cycles even if the problem has been corrected. This messed me up trying to hunt down problems that weren't there. So, as long as the indicator light goes out after a few seconds following ignition-on, the system is fine, even though you can still read error codes out in diagnostic mode.

image at:
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...bsDiagConn.jpg

Note: NO MORE POS HOSTONCE.COM for my webserver! Yes, you can now actually load the WHOLE page and not have it time out. Plus, it loads at your connection speed. Not, at 1 byte every 5 minutes! HOSTONCE SUCKS!! But, I'm free from that company that should be SUED FOR FRAUD and FALSE advertisement!

Joe - 86 Mustang GT with ABS!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
M-2300K brakes, Mach1 Springs, D178 rims, and 245/45/17 RE730 tires. Car Pictures: http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/misc/Mustang1986_with_Mach1_springs/
post #7 of 7 Old 07-20-2002, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks...

Thanks for all of the info. I have recently had the battery unhooked doing some stereo stuff. I'll get to it this weekend. Thanks again...

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement