Troubleshooting dash lighting issue. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-12-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (9)
Troubleshooting dash lighting issue.

So when I first looked/ test drove my car the dash lights worked, when I went to pick it up they weren't. After purchase I checked I as many grounds as I could on the engine bay hoping that would be the issue, well after messing with them the lights came back. About a month ago I was driving into my building and they just turned off. The next day when I started the car they came back on. Yesterday when I started the car they went away again, after a few blocks I passed my buddy and he gets next to me and says I have no tail lights or brake lights(but had turn signals). Pulled over, he put his hands under the dash wiggles a couple cables, restarted the car and theyre back on. Any other ground im missing? Anyone know what the deal is or have any experience with similar issues? Not sure if I should just take it to someone knowledgeable to look at or save some money and get a 5.0resto dash kit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-12-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Update: I went downstairs to warm up the car, after 10 minutes or so the lights went out me again, headlights still work but not tail lights, turnsignals and brake lights work.

post #3 of 6 Old 11-13-2011, 07:08 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
The wires for the headlight switch sometimes get pulled out of the connector harness causing poor contact. I've seen the plastic connector that holds the wires, melted or burnt.This happend to me and a few friends. The contacts on the dimmer switch sometimes get a build up of dust, causing the dash lights to intermittently work, removing the switch and cleaning it with electrical clearner and compressed air worked for me on that problem. A seperating ignition switch also cause me problems, having the turn signals to cut out intermittently, I just replaced it with a new one and it solved that problem. Just giving you some ideas where to start looking, hope this helps, if not, try finding a schematic for the headlight/tail light electrical
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-13-2011, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkoa5 View Post
The wires for the headlight switch sometimes get pulled out of the connector harness causing poor contact. I've seen the plastic connector that holds the wires, melted or burnt.This happend to me and a few friends. The contacts on the dimmer switch sometimes get a build up of dust, causing the dash lights to intermittently work, removing the switch and cleaning it with electrical clearner and compressed air worked for me on that problem. A seperating ignition switch also cause me problems, having the turn signals to cut out intermittently, I just replaced it with a new one and it solved that problem. Just giving you some ideas where to start looking, hope this helps, if not, try finding a schematic for the headlight/tail light electrical
Thanks. I have a feeling its the dimmer, will try to jumper it when I get home. How difficult is it to remover the bottom part of the dash to get to the dimmer?
post #5 of 6 Old 11-13-2011, 03:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Not difficult at all, the knee boltster cover needs to be removed and I believe the metal bracket behind it also, only because the cluster cover also needs to be removed and the bottom bolts that hold that down is part of that bracket. When you do remove the dimmer switch, you'll actually see in the switch itself where the dust is and thats where the compressed air comes in. Since you'll have those plastic pieces off, I would also check the ignition switch, as they do have a tendency to come apart, which caused my turn signal problem.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-13-2011, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Think I found the issue (at least it looks like it). Started taking the dash apart, when I pulled the headlight switch out the connection in the back fell off. Apparently the wires arent long enough to make a good connection outside the cluster cover then push in, it was a PITA to say the least, it took me about 20 minutes to plug the harness, had to do it with my pinky fingers in the hole pulling the harness towards me while pushing the headlight switch in with the heel if my hand. Soon as I did, walaa!! Instrument cluster lights!! LOL! Thanks for your help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement