1998 Cobra Alternator - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 11-03-2011, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
1998 Cobra Alternator

Hey everyone! I recently purchased a 98 Cobra convertible and while looking it over during the routine maintenance, I noticed a disconnected wire. It looks like it should plug into the alternator (that's where it comes out of the wiring harness at). Any other cobra guys out there remember seeing this wire on your alternator and/or harness? Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-03-2011, 09:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Can you take a picture of the connector or something?

'94 GT, White, Cobra hood & bumper cover, '95R wheels
393w, Vic Jr 60cc, XE282HR, Victor 5.8 EFI, 80# injectors, Hooker LT 1 3/4 to 3", Borla proXS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T56 w/ AJE xmember, McLeod street twin, MM/Bilstein '03 IRS, JRi Agent47 SLA
Megasquirt
post #3 of 4 Old 12-21-2011, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Wire question solved

Thanks for the offer to help. I realized I had my description backwards after I looked under the hood again. The wire is coming out of the alternator plug and then ends, not the other way around. Here's what I've learned after changing the plug, alternator, etc...for anyone interested - the 2v alternator uses the same plug as the 4v, but the alternators themselves are different in the way they are wired. So, on the 2v GT engine the third wire hooks back up to the alternator. On the 4v cobra engine the wire is just capped off and stuck into the harness, not used. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-22-2012, 06:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gncmountainman View Post
Thanks for the offer to help. I realized I had my description backwards after I looked under the hood again. The wire is coming out of the alternator plug and then ends, not the other way around. Here's what I've learned after changing the plug, alternator, etc...for anyone interested - the 2v alternator uses the same plug as the 4v, but the alternators themselves are different in the way they are wired. So, on the 2v GT engine the third wire hooks back up to the alternator. On the 4v cobra engine the wire is just capped off and stuck into the harness, not used. Thanks everyone!
Thank you so much for this information. I ran across this open wire last night around midnight and almost stopped working on my car until I could access Mitchell at work on Thursday. I couldn't find any good wiring diagrams online and probably looked for 20 minutes before I ran across this post. Just wanted to let you know that you kept me on track and I got my car running last night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement