Altenator problems need help! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-03-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Altenator problems need help!

Okay here is the issue, I did the 130 amp swap on my 83' Fox. I followed the directions that I found here in the corral forums on doing the swap. The problem that has appeared is that when I recently installed a new aluminum radiator and 2 of the 12" electric fans that had came with the radiator I am getting a drop in voltage and the altenator starts "squealing". Now I replaced the altenator because the first 130 amp I had on there was used but the one I installed yesterday is a new one and still the same thing. I do run a Holley Blue electric fuel pump, MSD 6AL box, and my battery is re-located to the back of the car but with 0 awg wire. Now before I did the 130 amp swap and installed the electric fans I ran a stock altenator with 0 problems.Now the only thing that I did not do was run a ground from the rear of the altenator to the chassis, and the reason for this is I figured that I have 3 grounds running from the engine, 2, 4awg cables and 1, 10awg and that would be good enough. What I am wondering is if I need to install relays on the fans and if I do can somebody suggest what size and where I can buy them? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

85'LX Coupe
466/C-6
4.56 Rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-05-2011, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Nobody? Huh who would have thought it. Anyway I think I am going to try bumping up the idle a little. It seems to not have these problems when the car idles closer to 1000 rpm's. I rechecked and cleaned all my grounds. I may try running 2awg wire from the altenator instead of the 4 awg I have now. rechecked the alignment of all the pullies and that seems fine. I am also going to add a couple of maybe 40 amp relays to the fans, I am thinking it can't hurt. I checked the voltage when the car is running without all of the accessories on, accept the fuelpump of coarse, and the altenator is pumping out 14.4 volts. turn on the fans and it drops to 14.3 not bad I guess. But when I hit the lights she still seems to start loading up and voltage drops to 12 volts, but that is with the car idling around 800 rpms. Well I want to thank everybody for their help and will keep you posted on what I find out after making a couple of these changes.

85'LX Coupe
466/C-6
4.56 Rear
post #3 of 8 Old 10-05-2011, 09:23 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Put a smaller pulley i had the same problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Well I swapped to a smaller pulley and it seems to have gotten worse. I bumped up the idle and its appears to work fine, with the fans both on, turn on the head lights and WHAM voltage drops to 12.3, I measured using my Fluke meter, and altenator starts squealing like a banshee. I find it hard to believe that 4 awg wire isn't big enough to run from the altenator to the starter relay its less than 18". It looks like the next move is going to try some relays on the fans.Even though from what I read on the fans that they only pull 10 amps , each that is, when running. Anyone with any thoughts, ideas? AAHHH, probably not, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask anyway. I will post up my next results when I install a couple of relays.

85'LX Coupe
466/C-6
4.56 Rear
post #5 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 07:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Exclamation

Squealing could be your tensior pulley. Tell us how you wired your new alternator. What gauge and what locations were they installed on. Did you install a on/off switch too? If so, did you do a feed back cable set up to shut down All power? Does your wiring look like this?
post #6 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (23)
You may want to put relays on the fans.The reason your alternator squeals is because of the sudden load placed on the alt when the fans kick on.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-07-2011, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Yes my wiring is exactly the same as in the picture.The car had already a newer wiring harness installed and 16awg wire on the fans themselves and 4 awg wire with a 175 amp fuse between to run from the altenator to the starter relay. I bought 2, 40amp relays to install today. My thinking is even though the fans claim 10 amps when running, I believe they probably pull more amperage when they kick on, combine that with the electric fuel pump and all other stuff it isn't giving the alternator a chance to pump up the amps all at the same time. I will post my results later this afternoon.And guys I really do appreciate the responses.

85'LX Coupe
466/C-6
4.56 Rear
post #8 of 8 Old 10-07-2011, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Ok I am done. I am going back to a mechanical fan set up. I installed the relays, put the stock pulley back on the altenator and fired it up. It was perfect, no squeal, turned on the fans, perfect no voltage drop, turned on the lights perfect no voltage drop stayed steady as a rock,steady idle, everything perfect. Shut it down went in the house came back out fired it up didn't want to idle. Tried to take it for a ride didn't run for crap. I am through, I will post all the fans, relays and other crap on craigslist and go back to a mechanical fan.This car ran perfect until I installed the altenator and electric fans. I now believe that the voltage drop is affecting my MSD 6AL because of the way its running. So I give up.

85'LX Coupe
466/C-6
4.56 Rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement