Powering directly from alternator?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 08-26-2011, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
Powering directly from alternator??

I have my car wired via the MAD Electric design. This design runs a 8 guage wire directly from the alternator pin to a power distribution block. You then run all of the high load electric items directly from that point ( In my case I run a fan, water pump, and head lights). There is a little more to the system, but that is the short of it.

The guy over at MAD told me it wouldnt affect the longevity or performance of the alternator. I have a few friends that tell me im basically full fielding the alternator and its going to eventually kill it.

Any have experience with this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-10-2011, 12:32 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I did mine like that MAD wiring but I recall mine takes 8 ga wire from alternator to silenoid. off same silenoid side i have 1/0 wire to + battery terminal then another 8ga wire going from this same terminal back up to front of car where old silenoid used to be ( i just replaced stock silenoid with studded terminal) Its not directly off alternator but from same point alternator meets battery wire at rear mounted silenoid, no problem so far after 2+ years

88 LX 331 stroker
bart works sla/ mm rear co with phb
post #3 of 4 Old 09-19-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYOWNR View Post
I did mine like that MAD wiring but I recall mine takes 8 ga wire from alternator to silenoid. off same silenoid side i have 1/0 wire to + battery terminal then another 8ga wire going from this same terminal back up to front of car where old silenoid used to be ( i just replaced stock silenoid with studded terminal) Its not directly off alternator but from same point alternator meets battery wire at rear mounted silenoid, no problem so far after 2+ years
Do you run a kill switch?

408 Dart, Fox Lake Vic Jr's, Proformance Racing TH400 , YSI, Holley Dominator EFI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-19-2011, 09:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
not nhra legal, mine is in line with the negative wire so it cuts the ground off.

88 LX 331 stroker
bart works sla/ mm rear co with phb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement