Mark VIII Fan Wiring...different colored wires? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 08-22-2011, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Mark VIII Fan Wiring...different colored wires?

Hey guys,

I am putting a Mark VIII fan that I bought off of corral in my fox. I have searched, found all kinds of results, and been using this site for my install:

Electric Fan Conversion Using the Notorious Lincoln Mark VIII Fan - FordMuscle

However, every result I look at has the blue wire on the far left (positive) and two black wires to its right (another positive and the ground). My harness on my fan has the blue wire in the center, a light brown with orange stripe where the blue wire is shown (see picture) and the black on the far left. My plan is to use the blue wire as my positive and the black as ground and just seal the brown/orange off with heat shrink. Will this work? Someone told me that the Mark VIII fans have two speeds also so I need to make sure I use the high speed. I am using a variable speed controller (SPAL-PWM). Any input would be greatly appreciated!

1991 Mustang GT/AOD
Blown..........Up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-25-2011, 01:48 AM

The middle wire is the low speed. This fan draws a lot of amps on start up so you may consider upgrading your alternator to a 3G 130 amp.

post #3 of 4 Old 08-25-2011, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey four eyes View Post
The middle wire is the low speed. This fan draws a lot of amps on start up so you may consider upgrading your alternator to a 3G 130 amp.
Already did. Thanks for the response. So I need to use the other positive, correct?

1991 Mustang GT/AOD
Blown..........Up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-02-2011, 09:47 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
don't forget freewheeling diode, or you will quickly burn up relay contacts.

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement