Unknown electrical gremlin. Won't crank after idle issues. MSD6AL box and carb. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 07-22-2011, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (9)
Unknown electrical gremlin. Won't crank after idle issues. MSD6AL box and carb.

I have had my Capri for exactly one day.

Yesterday, all was great. Ran nice, idled, no worries.

Today, another story.

I moved the location of the tach today. It was mounted in an inconvenient position by the former owner. I disconnected the three wires, mounted the tach and re-connected the wires. I had it wired incorrectly at first (tach and light came on when the ignition was not on), but I got it right on the second try. Other than that, I have done nothing...unless I dislodged a wire while moving around the wires the tach was wired to.

I start the car and it is loading up and not idling. It has an MSD 6AL and is carbed. MSD coil, Ford distributor. I figure maybe a ride around the block will warm it up. I slowly cruise around the block and on the way back, it dies. I go to start it back up and it cranks, does not fire, then nothing. It stops cranking entirely. I did not wire this car and electricity is not my forte'. Some of the wiring looks a little half-assed, but I really don't know what I am doing with this stuff.

Sounds like the solenoid is fried. But, does the MSD have to energize the solenoid? I don't think so, but I don't know. Could wiring a tach incorrectly fry an MSD box? I really am at a loss here and don't know where to start.

It has an AOD, and I have put it in park several times in case it is some kind of neutral safety switch issue.

Ideas?

Mike

Nothing but turbos.....

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCECPEzGAKEB4O9G3T-ImoFA

Last edited by MikeLTDLX; 07-22-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-23-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (9)
Well, there is some kind of issue between the ignition switch and the solenoid. That is one bitch of a wire to trace. It now has a push button starter. Tres Racee. LOL

Seems to run fine.

Mike

Nothing but turbos.....

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCECPEzGAKEB4O9G3T-ImoFA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement