CEL only comes on when off the tester - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 07-07-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Check Engine Light and other wiring issues

Working on my 93 Notch ive come across 2 big issues i need to iron out before i start to do any of my planned mods.

1. Check Engine Light

When the Code Reader is not plugged into the car, it will throw a check engine light. (codes 67, 85, 22, 34 {i dont have charcol canister and no foot on the clutch so 67 and 85 can be ignored##). If i plug in the tester, clear the codes and let the car run and retest it will show no codes. (67, 85, 11 {all pass##). I have tried to let the car run for many diff lengths of time (10m, 30m, 1h, 2h, 4h, ect) and so long as the tester is just plugged into the test ports (under hood drivers side firewall) it will not throw any codes and runs smooth as butter. If i remove the code reader, the car will immediately throw a cel and the same codes come back.

Some background info on the car, i got it with the vref trace on the A9L burned out, i repaired the trace on the ecu and all the codes it was throwing when i got the car were cleared out. I have since replaced the A9L with one that is known working (tested on another car with no issues).

Im at a loss on this, does anyone have any tips for me. Im pretty good with electrical and have a DVM and Soldering tools.

2. Cluster goes crazy

This is a secondary issue and I suspect its related to a ground somewhere, but here goes.

When I try to use the blinkers, wipers, or headlights, the cluster goes crazy, all lights go on, and all gauges drop to 0. The blinkers will continue to work despite the cluster, the headlights work despite the cluster, but the wipers will start to work and get stuck, moving extremely slowly until they stop about 1/2 way through the first pass.

The car had an old alarm in it, that i have pulled out and im in the process if soldering and shrink tubing all the connections that were cut, but I dont think this had anything to do with it, as all connections were good when i started to pull the alarm out.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help,
Dave

93 White Notch
5 Lug 4 Wheel Disc

Last edited by fiore1230; 07-08-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-08-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
bump, anyone have any ideas?

93 White Notch
5 Lug 4 Wheel Disc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement