temp gauge rise when park lights are turned on - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-26-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
temp gauge rise when park lights are turned on

I was wondering what would cause temp gauge to rise some when the park lights are turned on.

91 notch back 4cyl conversion car

thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-26-2011, 11:51 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
It shouldnt, but that prob obvious. Wiring issue maybe, i just can see how mechanicaly that could happen. And if i had to come up with something check the Alt pullly make sure it spins freely.

11' 5.0 Brembo TVS trapping 130+
89' 331 Stroker Carb'd
Frame up resto!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

370/375 at 2950 lbs
post #3 of 6 Old 06-26-2011, 12:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
sounds like the alt is struggling to produce enough amps to power lights/ignition/ac/stereo/powerwindows and the fan (or fans) at the same time. What type of fans, what type of alt, ignition, accessories, and does this do this at idle or cruising speeds also? Also if there are other "hidden" issues with the cooling system (to small, t-stat going bad, slow fans etc) this amp draw problem could exacerbate the situation. Also, check your grounds. a bad ground could really slow things down. I have a 4 cyl conversion, holly ignition box, dual fans, and 3g alt, and when the a/c is running, the alt really struggles to keep up at idle. One time I had corrosion on my ground terminal (on the inside where the wire connects to the terminal out of eyesight). Cleaned the battery connection a ton, it always looked good. Took the terminal apart (I was going to replace the wire), found the corrosion, cleaned and put back together, problem solved!

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i46/hollywoodstang89/SSPX0639.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-05-2011, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
thanks hollywood I will give that a try
post #5 of 6 Old 07-19-2011, 02:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (27)
With older cars, you get a lot of extra resistance in wiring and connectors. That's pretty typical sound of a voltage drop...the gauges read resistance of the sensors and if the voltage delivered to the sensors drops, the gauge readings change. I put in Nordskog digital gauges and at first when I turned on the a/c my temp would jump 25degrees and if I turned on the headlights and a/c it would go up 50. Not the real engine temp, just the gauge reading. I grabbed the wire that feeds the gauges and ran it off a relay directly from the battery. Now it only changes 7 degrees if I turn on the hl and a/c at the same time.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-30-2011, 12:23 AM

Trader Feedback: (13)
I would track down all grounds, including the instrument cluster, and any aftermarket items and clean the crap out of them, have the alternator checked. I had a car do this years ago and it ended up being a bad ground.

A wise man once said "It's better to remain silent and appear ignorant, rather than speak and remove doubt!

91 GT, TT 306,TFS 170's, Track Heat,60lb inj, 150 shot, 3.27's, setting up for nice dd with Maximum Motorsport suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement