need help wiring up aftermarket fan - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 06-07-2011, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (21)
need help wiring up aftermarket fan

I have an aftermarket dual fan setup, it only has two wires running from it a power and a ground, I think my module that controls the fan is busted, so I want to wire it up seperately. I thought about running a simple power from the battery with a toggle switch, but I heard you can get inline fuses and a thermostat controller that you can wire in, I really dont know much about wiring stuff, so any info/ pictures are appreciated.

thanks, Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-07-2011, 01:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I've used one of these with decent success.

Flex-a-lite 31147 - Flex-a-lite Adjustable Electric Fan Controllers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

It uses a probe that pushes through the fins of your radiator to pick up the temp. There is a dial on the body of the controller (which is just a heat-activated switch) so you can dial in what temperature you want the fan to come on.

The best way to wire up power to the fan is through a relay.

Here's a site with some pretty clear instructions on how to hook up a relay with pictures. The "on off" switch in the picture represents your ignition switch.

Jeep Electrical - Automotive Relay Basics - Learn "How-To" Control Lighting.

The only variation is that you wire the controller between pole 85 of the relay and ground.

You can see in the pictures where the fuses go. You can buy in-line fuse holders as well as automotive relays from radio shack. Use a 3 amp fuse as the switch fuse.
For the relay use one rated above whatever amps your fan is rated for, and use a fuse one size up from whatever your fan is rated for.

This page has a chart for wire gauge (size) and how many amps it can handle. You want to look at the Maximum Amps for Power Transmission column. Whatever amp fuse you choose, go at least 1 size up from that for the wire. Also make sure you use stranded wire, not solid wire.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

'94 GT, White, Cobra hood & bumper cover, '95R wheels
393w, Vic Jr 60cc, XE282HR, Victor 5.8 EFI, 80# injectors, Hooker LT 1 3/4 to 3", Borla proXS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T56 w/ AJE xmember, McLeod street twin, MM/Bilstein '03 IRS, JRi Agent47 SLA
Megasquirt

Last edited by seijirou; 06-07-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement