Steering Wheel Wiring - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 05-31-2011, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (24)
Steering Wheel Wiring

I have my dash broken down and I'm getting ready to wire up my transbrake/2step circuit. I want to use the right side horn button as the trigger. I've used veryuseful.com's schematics, but it doesn't address the steering wheel itself. Can anyone which wires at the steering column are the horn wires I'm looking for?

Thanks
Shaun

1966 Mustang Coupe
1993 Coupe - LM7, pt88, th400, MS3x
1995 GT - 100% Stock (emissions and all)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-07-2011, 02:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
The buttons on the steering wheel connect to the wires in the column through a copper collar that's fixed to the column. Then metal contacts connected to the wheel drag along this copper collar. The horn buttons are only on individual wires at the wheel. They join together to a single contact touching that copper collar... So you can't just tap in to the right-side horn button through wires in the column, you'd need to separate the right from the left in the steering wheel first, and then tap in at the steering wheel itself.

This causes the problem of your wires wrapping up around the steering column as you turn the wheel. That's the problem the engineers solved with the collar and sliding contacts.

If you want your trans brake button to be on your steering wheel you either need to add an additional collar and sliding contact somehow, or re-purpose one of the existing ones, or add a transmitter or something so you can transfer the signal wirelessly.

'94 GT, White, Cobra hood & bumper cover, '95R wheels
393w, Vic Jr 60cc, XE282HR, Victor 5.8 EFI, 80# injectors, Hooker LT 1 3/4 to 3", Borla proXS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T56 w/ AJE xmember, McLeod street twin, MM/Bilstein '03 IRS, JRi Agent47 SLA
Megasquirt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement