wiring guru's need help!! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-28-2011, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (36)
wiring guru's need help!!

ok so basically what i did was hide all my wiring in my fenders. i eliminated my solenoid and ran a #2 wire from my battery to a 12v buss bar and hooked all the wires that were ran to the ssolenoid to the 12v side of the buss. there is one wire a larger#10 yellow wire that was hooked to the solenoid and i rehooked it to the buss bar, but now that wire is showing continuity to ground. when i tested my buddys 87 mine is a 92, his had no continuity to ground. his yellow wire had like 4 fuseable links connected to it and mine does not. the wire looks like it goes in the harness that goes thru the firewall on driverside by the booster. why am i getting this continuty? is it right that i have it? it all worked fine befor but i never tested it then. no nicks or cuts on the wire either.

here are a few pics i know the wiring looks messy but i had to tear it apart to try to trace the yellow wire

pic of the 12v/ground bar setup 12v on one side ground on the other

here is a pic of the yellow wire that was connected to constant hot side of solenoid

better pic of ground bar/12v bar

pics of my rewiring in the trunk(not relevant but thought you might like seeing it)

i am also getting 800ohms of resistence between the + and - battery cable that go to that buss bar setup. not sure if that is right but thought it may be that way because of the relays that i have hooked up to the buss.

let me know what you guys think!!

Sold my car for a boat!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-28-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

i found this diagram so i might start some troubleshooting with this

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...nks-ign-ac.gif

post #3 of 12 Old 04-28-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

got it narrowed down to the blk/orange fuse link that feeds fuse #4. fuse number 4 feeds headlights, taillights, liscense plate light, dash panel. i installed 2 more gauge in dash so may have issue there. i also used a few wires in trunk are so that also might be my issue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-28-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

pulled the#4 fuse out tonight still had continuity from the fuselink to ground. one side of the fuse holder had continuity and the other side didnt so that leads me to believe between the fuse link and fuse number 4 there is a short. now i just have to find it!!!

post #5 of 12 Old 04-30-2011, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

ok so i droped the fuse panel under the dash and located the black and orange wire to fuse number 4. i didnt want to but was curious so i cut the wire for further testing. i now tested between the fuse link and the end of the wire that i cut which was 2 inches from the fuse panel(i left a 2" lead to connect back up to) to make sure this was my wire and it was. i proceeded to test between the fuselink and the end of the wire by the fuse panel to ground for continuity and there was no continuity WTF!!! so then i tested the 2" piece of wire that came out of the fuse panel(with no fuse in the holder) and BAMM!! continuity, but how? it was a 2" piece of wire to the back of the fuse panel. i could see both sides of fuse panel and there was nothing touching the wire or the fuse holder contacts. i saw nothing that would cause the short to ground, so i hooked it all back up and im going to run and see what happens

post #6 of 12 Old 04-30-2011, 05:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (18)
it can be that your reading through a complete circuit, that is grounded on the back end. Are all the accessories, light switches, everything off. Something as simple as your domelights could potentially rad through to ground, as with your door open, the switch completes the lights path to ground. Only way to avoid, or figure out where is pull out every fuse, and continue to test continuity to ground while putting each fuse back in until it returns, then you will know what circuit your reading back to ground on. Then remove that fuse, and continue to see if you get that result with the rest of the fuses.

68 Mustang FB, Eleanor body kit, pepper gray, TCI full chassis frame cradle, 9 inch w 3 link, torque arm, panhard bar, coil overs, wildwood brakes. 427 dart CHI 3v heads, intake
post #7 of 12 Old 04-30-2011, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor68 View Post
it can be that your reading through a complete circuit, that is grounded on the back end. Are all the accessories, light switches, everything off. Something as simple as your domelights could potentially rad through to ground, as with your door open, the switch completes the lights path to ground. Only way to avoid, or figure out where is pull out every fuse, and continue to test continuity to ground while putting each fuse back in until it returns, then you will know what circuit your reading back to ground on. Then remove that fuse, and continue to see if you get that result with the rest of the fuses.
i undestand what you are saying, but i cut the wire right befor it goes into fuese block so i was only testing 2" of wire thats it!!! and i was testing with that fuse out and was testing only the one side of the fuse terminal, so i completely isolated that 2" piece of wire. i know its the wierdest thing ever it makes no sence to me. i am an electrician who loves to work on cars to so the wiring thing for me is pretty easy but this makes no sence!!!!

post #8 of 12 Old 04-30-2011, 06:32 PM

I see, a fellow electrician!!! Wasnt aware you had already pulled the fuse...

68 Mustang FB, Eleanor body kit, pepper gray, TCI full chassis frame cradle, 9 inch w 3 link, torque arm, panhard bar, coil overs, wildwood brakes. 427 dart CHI 3v heads, intake
post #9 of 12 Old 04-30-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I see, a fellow electrician!!! Wasnt aware you had already pulled the fuse...
are you an electrician? union?

post #10 of 12 Old 05-01-2011, 08:44 AM

yep, with no F' ing work in soooo long....134-chicago.....

post #11 of 12 Old 05-01-2011, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
yep, with no F' ing work in soooo long....134-chicago.....
i hear you there, 494 milwaukee here. im laid off but hasnt been for to long, month and a half

also if you are going to sell that extra 340lph pump, my buddy(who is also 494) really needs one and will buy from you

Last edited by rkloehn; 05-01-2011 at 09:24 AM.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-01-2011, 10:23 AM

Yep, I'm keeping that in mind...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement