3G Upgrade - Correct Wiring?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-30-2011, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
3G Upgrade - Correct Wiring??

I have a 3G alternator Upgrade kit that came with all the necessary hardware, connectors and fused 4g power wire. After doing some searches/reading on the best way to wire everything, I found that there seems to be 2 schools of thought.

To make it easier, I've attached 2 diagrams that show both ways.

The difference is...1 method has the 2 10g black/orange charge wires retained and connected to the charging post along with the new 4g fused line to the battery + side of the solenoid. The black and white goes to the stator.

The other method eliminates those 2 wires altogether and tapes them off, jumps the yellow/white wire inline with charge post and the black and white still goes to the stator. the 4g fused wire goes again, to the batter + of solenoid.

So which is it and what's the difference? I've read that those need to be kept to power other circuits but also, that the fuses associated with thos lines will just pop if they're connected.

Just fyi, my kit recommends that the 2 black/orange wires get retained and connected to the charge post with the new line. Thoughts??

Thanks all for your replies.

Attached Images
File Type: gif 3G-ALT_wiring.gif (8.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: gif 3galternator1nw2.gif (33.8 KB, 65 views)

93 LX 5.0 Hatch - Street/Open Track
Ported GT-40 heads, E-Cam, Cobra intake, Crane Gold 1.6 rockers, 24lb inj and 75mm PMas, No Cats, 5 Lug, MM Coils and Control Arms, Bilsteins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-31-2011, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Anyone? No one's ever done a 3G alternator swap? Am I the first? Are there horse socks? Is anybody listening to me?

93 LX 5.0 Hatch - Street/Open Track
Ported GT-40 heads, E-Cam, Cobra intake, Crane Gold 1.6 rockers, 24lb inj and 75mm PMas, No Cats, 5 Lug, MM Coils and Control Arms, Bilsteins
post #3 of 4 Old 04-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (23)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-16-2011, 11:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock1 View Post
I have to tell you this is a very handy link... I know how to do the swap from experience but this is a very well documented and photographed how-to for the 3g swap. Very nice!

93 Cobra Clone...Unequal Length Shorties, Dr. Gas X-pipe, E-cam, Aluminum D/S, MGW w/ blue handle, 70mm TB, K&N, Tremec SD T-5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement