Charging issues... Frustrated - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Charging issues... Frustrated

Ok so here is my setup:
1991 coupe
Rear mount battery setup
Brand new Optima red top (Second one in a year)
3G conversion (Tested alt good)
Brand new starter
Mark VIII fan conversion with the proper fuse
All wiring is 1/0 guage, Ground to rear quad shock mount, front grounded to sway bar mount, both engine grounds in place on back of engine.
Stock fusible links in place on solenoid
Stereo unhooked, alarm unhooked.

Here is the problem: When the battery is fully charged, I will get a few tries out of it, and then it loses enough charge that it will not turn the starter over. I then have to jump start it, and even then I can only do this at the solenoid, it will not carry enough juice from the rear battery. The wierd thing is, when I purchased the car from a friend, it was the same setup minus the fan setup I put in it. This worked fine when he owned it. I have tried disconnecting the fan too with no change. If you leave the battery connected, in a couple of days it will be drained down to almost nothing. I have read a lot of posts on this issue, and have tried a lot of different things with no success. Just wondering if anyone else has this setup with this issue?

Thanks for any insight.

1991 LX coupe
327 stroker
Hellion single turbo kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (23)
Have you tried to determine how many amps your drawing during startup.

post #3 of 6 Old 03-25-2011, 11:35 PM

is there any way the power cable running to the front is chaffed? other than that i would try running a ground wire from your block/bellhousing right back to the neg on the battery. i think if you take a meter and amp out from your disconected neg bat terminal to your neg bat post it will show an amp draw. start pulling fuses 1 by 1 till the draw disapears, then you have somewhere to start checking. good luck man

2011 PLatinum 5.0 F150
2008 King Ranch Expedition
1990 Gt Dss 306, afr's,faceplated tko, v2, meth, all tubular ,custom paint. Dez tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-27-2011, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!

Warlock: I know I did try that before, and I honestly cannot remember the result. I will be attempting that again...
PearlGT: To answer both of your replies, I am actually going to start from scratch and document everything as I go. I plan on disconnecting the battery and getting a full charge on it (If it will) and start with the negative disconnected and then use a meter across to the negative connection. From there I'm going to try everything again and see what I come up with. I'll check again too to make sure cabling doesn't by chance have a rub through somewhere I overlooked.
Thanks for the tips and I'll try and post results here soon!
post #5 of 6 Old 05-26-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Battery update...

Ok, so this was a bit ago, and wanted to say thanks for the replies.
I did everything I planned to after swapping in a new battery:
Disconnected everything, reconnected each wire one by one and checked the voltage as I went. Everything checked out as I went.
I then connected checked it with KOEO and it read like it should (12.3V) I think. I started it and it started right up. Once it was idling, it was showing 14.5V steady, so it is charging fine.
I then turned it off and left it on overnight. In the morning it had dropped .1V's. (12.50)
I then let it sit for a couple of days and it was still within .2 Volts of a full charge.
The only thing I can think of was when I put the old battery on a charger it killed one of the cells. (Red top). Supposedly it is meant for and even has a setting for gel type batteries, but maybe this one was just too sensitive for it?
Anyways, a month later and the battery is still good.
I have started it a couple of times since then with no issues.

Thanks for listening!
post #6 of 6 Old 05-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Corral Elite Member

Glad to hear you were able to resolve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement