93 GT strange starter issue HELP - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-19-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
93 GT strange starter issue HELP

O.K guys i'm pretty good with figuring out electrical but i have one that has me scratching my head. I just finish installing a new 306 in my 93 GT nothing radical just a mild street everyday driver. I put the starter that came with the car (purchased car as a roller) on it as it looked very clean and somewhat new. I begin to fire the motor and the engine spins over and cranks up but it sounds like the starter stays engaged for about 5-10 seconds after the engine is running and then it will stop engaging. This seems like an issue of the bendix not retracting quick enough after the engine is running. Long story short... because i didn't know the history of this starter I purchased a new starter. Low and behold i get the same issue with the new starter. I did a quick check on the wire that activates the starter on the solenoid that is up near the battery thinking that maybe my ignition switch is releasing slow or something but that's not the issue because just as soon as the key is released the power stops at the solenoid. It's one of those small annoyances that just makes you nuts Anyone have any suggestion
Throw'm at me.
BNS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 01:00 AM

Trader Feedback: (23)
i had to shim out my starter so that the bendix didnt go in so far, sounds like the same prob. i think we just used a couple washers 1 at a time. its never been a problem since.

2011 PLatinum 5.0 F150
2008 King Ranch Expedition
1990 Gt Dss 306, afr's,faceplated tko, v2, meth, all tubular ,custom paint. Dez tuned
post #3 of 6 Old 04-05-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Well finally got to work on this issue and tried some shims but it didn't change a thing. Guess i'll keep trying.
BNS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-05-2011, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

GOT IT, GOT IT, GOT IT.... finally found that the starter power cable was on the solenoid incorrectly. Surprised that it actually engaged the starter.
Thanks for the response blownpearlGT
BNS
post #5 of 6 Old 04-08-2011, 03:40 AM

Trader Feedback: (23)
no prob

2011 PLatinum 5.0 F150
2008 King Ranch Expedition
1990 Gt Dss 306, afr's,faceplated tko, v2, meth, all tubular ,custom paint. Dez tuned
post #6 of 6 Old 04-11-2011, 11:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
how was power cable on incorrectly? I have the same poblem with my car. It's done this as long as i've had it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement