Still shooting an 'Electrical Gremelin'... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-03-2011, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Still shooting an 'Electrical Gremelin'...

I'm still looking for an answer to this....

I just got my 86 GT back after a new engine/trans combo. a new stock alternator was put in at the same time. The car has MSD 6AL and an A-pillar dual gauge with oil press. and cololant temp. in it.

The car runs great, but won't keep a charge on the battery. Battery is good, and like I said, the alternator is new. I havn't put an ohm/volt meter to it yet, either.

In my instrument cluster, the only thing that works is my tach. I read in a couple posts where there is an 'exciter cirtuit' in the instrument cluster that is needed to tell the alternator to charge the battery. I'm totally confused by this and don't know where to begin. How can I check this out? Am I even on the right path: should I be starting with something else first?

Thanks, Mike

[email protected]

New update,

I'm only getting around 12.30 volts back to my REAR battery on 2 ga. wire.

Last edited by miketodstjo; 03-03-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (11)
Garage
add more grounds, front and rear.. block to frame/battery to frame. alt could still be the culprit.

90 coupe, 302,9.7 comp,scat rods, ported windsor sr.'s(286 [email protected]" 2.05/1.60),tfs stage 3 cam,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
funnel web, 750dp,c4/4000,4.30 gears, aeromotive 140 pump-motor/holley red for nitrous, 16 gal. cell, 2 stage nitrous,M/T 28x9 et drag,5" cowl hood.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-26-2011, 03:18 AM

Trader Feedback: (13)
did you or the shop do the msd box just recently? if so check to make sure that the box is wired properly and does not have both hots wired on a constant hot. I have seen this done in the past and it will suck a battery dry in a hurry!

Google Image Result for http://71camaross.com/Images/Instructions/MSD_Pro_Billet%20Wiring.jpg

A wise man once said "It's better to remain silent and appear ignorant, rather than speak and remove doubt!

91 GT, TT 306,TFS 170's, Track Heat,60lb inj, 150 shot, 3.27's, setting up for nice dd with Maximum Motorsport suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-26-2011, 03:22 AM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Oh. and if none of the guages in the dash work then its possible that there is a grounding problem with the dash cluster! Do the dash lights work?

I believe I have a set of Ford Tech manuals that I may be able to reference in order to help you out!

A wise man once said "It's better to remain silent and appear ignorant, rather than speak and remove doubt!

91 GT, TT 306,TFS 170's, Track Heat,60lb inj, 150 shot, 3.27's, setting up for nice dd with Maximum Motorsport suspension.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-26-2011, 03:42 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
If you're only getting 12.3 volts you are not charging your battery. You should be higher around 13-14 volts.

Do you have an external voltage regulator?

Do you have an internal regulator?

Both those pics show you how the field and the stator wires are to be hooked up.

This is a good place to learn stuff... Like a 3G swap.
Ford Fuel Injection » Alternator Files

Hope this helps... and fix your alternator first. 12.3Volts means it is not charging....
post #6 of 6 Old 03-31-2011, 05:33 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (23)
You may want to consider a 3g upgrade,it appears a though you have more electrical demands with the MSD and other mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement