88 GT w/Mini Starter -- HELP Please - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-27-2011, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
88 GT w/Mini Starter -- HELP Please

Ok, so here we go...car had been driving fine, went to get gas prior to heading to the track, went to start and nothing. Was able to bump the start to get it home without an issue. First guess since it had the original starter in it was that, so swapped with a new mini-starter, moved the wires and ran a 12 gauge wire as detailed on other threads. When I turn the key I hear both the firewall and starter solenoid click but nothing happening on the starter. Took the starter back to the store just to be sure and no issues with it. Took the battery out of my Subaru and still the same result. Ran a second trigger wire to be sure and still the same issue. Change the solenoid, still the same issue.

Cleaned all the connections at the solenoid, changed the positive cable between the battery and the solenoid, cleaned negative cable at the battery.

Car can still be bump started no issues...Even if I cross the solenoid starter I will occasionally get a little motion out of the start but not much...

My guesses:
1. 2 gauge wire from solenoid to starter solenoid is bad (have inspected it, didn't find anything but can't look inside the wire), I did however light test that I am getting power to the starter through the wire, but whether it can hold the amps needed to fire the starter

2. Could a clutch position sensor gone bad cause this???

Any help would be VERY appreciated since I missed the first track day of the year with this bug...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (23)
Heres some Tech Reference;https://forums.corral.net/forums/arti...i-starter.html

post #3 of 5 Old 03-02-2011, 10:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (23)
any chance that the starter gear is not popping out of the case and into the flywheel? could be bound up, maybe remove the starter and bump the solenoid just to make sure its working?
good luck

2011 PLatinum 5.0 F150
2008 King Ranch Expedition
1990 Gt Dss 306, afr's,faceplated tko, v2, meth, all tubular ,custom paint. Dez tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-03-2011, 11:44 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Your old starter might have taken your solenoid out. They are cheap enough, try swapping it out after you know for certain that all of your cables and connections are 100%.

Chris

2010 Infiniti G37S sedan
1990 Mustang GT
post #5 of 5 Old 07-01-2013, 09:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I know this is an older thread, but my '89 GT is having the very same issue. Did you ever figure out what your problem was?

Thanks in advance

1989 Mustang GT - Cabernet Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement