ever done manual fan switch with lighted switch ? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-09-2002, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
ever done manual fan switch with lighted switch ?

i want to do the manual fan switch, but i want to use a switch that lights up when the fan is on. is this possible? if so, how would i wire it up? thanks alot,

94 GT TFS Track Heat Intake, Twisted Wedge Heads, FTI Cam, 65mm TB, C&L 73mm MAF, 24# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, 255lph, BBK Longtubes, Off Road H-Pipe, BBK Underdrive Pulleys, Mac CAI, Pro 5.0 Shifter w/ tri-ax handle, Eibach springs, 3:73's, SPEC Clutch, JMS Chip. KB Subframe Connectors.
Best [email protected] 320rwhp 320rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-09-2002, 06:00 PM

I thought about it too, but since the switch is on the ground side of the circuit I don't know how it would be possible. Electrical Einsteins please chime in.

post #3 of 9 Old 07-09-2002, 06:34 PM

Easy...

I put a lighted switch on mine. Simply run the wire from the CCM to one side of the switch, and run the ground to the other side of the switch. Nothing to it and works beautifully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-09-2002, 06:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Re: Easy...

Quote:
Originally posted by A502LUV
I put a lighted switch on mine. Simply run the wire from the CCM to one side of the switch, and run the ground to the other side of the switch. Nothing to it and works beautifully.
Yup...me too.

Rio Red 97 Cobra Number 749 of 6961...born October 3rd, 1996
Tarmac Black 2010 Lancer Ralliart Sportback
post #5 of 9 Old 07-09-2002, 06:57 PM

Ahh...I've got it. I ran mine from the ground side of the computer. That way I didn't have to run a wire from the engine bay. I think I will change mine and tap in at the ccrm in the engine bay. I really would prefer the lighted switch.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-09-2002, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by streetsnake94
Ahh...I've got it. I ran mine from the ground side of the computer. That way I didn't have to run a wire from the engine bay. I think I will change mine and tap in at the ccrm in the engine bay. I really would prefer the lighted switch.
You don't have to do anything but get a lighted switch and run 12v to the post for the light, then another ground wire for the light. The ones I've used had four posts.. one for the switch in, one for the switch out, one to light the switch and one for light ground. I guess there are 3 post ones but that may send current to the switch out. I used them in my old truck for lights, and they are great. But I went with a nice metal one for durability since the lit switches are generally plastic. Now they have metal ones with lights at the tip of the switch. Sorta like alot of boats control panels have.. pretty cool. I might get one at the parts store next time I go..

Speaking of lighted switches the fog light led went out in my car the other day

2003 Cobra Coupe
Dark Shadow Grey
"Ever seen how fast a horse runs after it's been bitten by a snake?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

362 RWHP/355 RWTQ SAE corrected. 1000 miles, stock w/o silencer.
401 RWHP/370 RWTQ SAE corrected. 3800 miles, Steeda CAI, Borla Stinger.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-09-2002, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

i'm sorry, i'm challenged when it comes to electrical stuff. if i get a 3 pronged switch, i would run one prong to ground, the other to the wire at the fan, but what would i run the other to? a 12v power source? thanks alot for the help

94 GT TFS Track Heat Intake, Twisted Wedge Heads, FTI Cam, 65mm TB, C&L 73mm MAF, 24# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, 255lph, BBK Longtubes, Off Road H-Pipe, BBK Underdrive Pulleys, Mac CAI, Pro 5.0 Shifter w/ tri-ax handle, Eibach springs, 3:73's, SPEC Clutch, JMS Chip. KB Subframe Connectors.
Best [email protected] 320rwhp 320rwtq
post #8 of 9 Old 07-10-2002, 11:07 AM
pcn

Trader Feedback: (6)
Two ways I know of are 1) the one most previous people talked about - tapping into the computer, and 2) running the fan directly. I went direct since I believe tapping the computer requires the key to be on. I want total control so I can cool between races (of course you need an electric fan for that too). There is a 75 amp Bosch relay many on here have used. Do a search or I will get the number if you cant find it. The relay lets you keep the large amperage wires required for the fan in the engine compartment, so you can mount the relay near the fan. The switch only controls the relay with a low amp signal, so light gauge wires run from it to the relay. The switch wires as follows: use a 12v signal from a source in your fuse box for the power, ground to chassis, and 12v out to the relay in the engine compartment. Use a voltmeter to find a constant 12v source at the fuse box. The relay has 4 connections: signal from switch, ground for signal, power source for fan, power out for fan. Long answer, so write back if you need clarification.

'94 GT w/306
ATI D1-R, Powerglide, 4.30's
post #9 of 9 Old 07-10-2002, 03:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Did mine like this. Top toggle is Left and Right O2 sensor for the A/F gauge. Bottom toggle is for the fan. The green light tells me the fan is on high.

Gary

Yellow 95 GT vert, Kenne Bell Blowzilla/Flowzilla, Y303 Heads, Water Injection.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I travel all rainy roads, and hydroplane thru life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement