Got fan recall and 20 minutes later coolant is boiling and gauge is pegged - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-09-2002, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Got fan recall and 20 minutes later coolant is boiling and gauge is pegged

After 2 notices for the recall, and hearing about people melt down fan connectors I decided it would be a good idea to get it taken care of. I picked it up and drove home. Rite after I got off the highway I noticed that the gauge was 3/4 the way to the right. Before the recall it never made it close to half way. By the time I got it home the gauge was all the way into the red and coolant was boiling over in the overflow tank. So I called the service writer up and told him about it. He wanted me to drive it back but I told him I didnt want to pop a head gasket so he told me hed have a tow truck pick it up but if it isnt the circuit breaker that Id have to pay for it. So I know this has happened to other guys so what have you all done to get this taken care of. Also how many silver things are on your circuit breaker? I heard something about the 3.8 having one, and the 5.0s have 2. Well mine has 1 silver thing on it. If anyone has any advice on this I would really apreciate it. Thanks

1989 LX- torn apart
2001 VW GTi 1.8T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-09-2002, 04:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Silver things, are you refering to the lugs the wires plug onto? Do you have a picture?

When your car starts to overheat, turn your heater on full, temperature set as hot as it will go. The heater core will acts as a second radiator and help cool your coolant back down. You might sweat, but this is better then breaking something within your engine. Sorry for telling you this if you already knew it.

Last edited by brock95gt; 07-09-2002 at 04:45 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-09-2002, 04:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Are you referring to the circut breakers on the new adapter?

If you are, there should be two of them. The fan in 94/95's are two speed.

One of the breakers should be around 30 ams the other around 23 amps.

It sounds like they installed the wrong one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-09-2002, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jaw773
Are you referring to the circut breakers on the new adapter?

If you are, there should be two of them. The fan in 94/95's are two speed.

One of the breakers should be around 30 ams the other around 23 amps.

It sounds like they installed the wrong one.
Yep, there is only one of them on mine. Do you possibly have a part number for the 5.0 breaker? On my invoice I have a F5ZZ-14526-AA. I called another local ford dealer parts department and they said there is one breaker for the 3.0, and 5.0 and then a separate one for the 3.8 but for some reason he couldnt tell me what mine was for.

1989 LX- torn apart
2001 VW GTi 1.8T
post #5 of 10 Old 07-09-2002, 05:01 PM

Sorry I do not, and I ditched it for my aftermarket fan and relay.

I can tell you tomorrow at best unless someone else has it handy.

There is a way to help, temporarily anyway, is to put a fan override switch in on the high fan setting, just find ground on the fan itself, it is one of the outside terminals, the others are low and high.

When you find the hgh level fan, attach a switch to it, and run the switch from in the car, make sure the switch can handle 30 amps and use 14-12 GA. wire.

Make sure that you turn it off before you shut off the car, it wont take long to run the battery down.

This can help you get it to the Ford dealer for their f**k up.

Good luck!

1995 Canary GT drop-top - not much stock left

What's the difference between a wife and a mistress??
Night and day
post #6 of 10 Old 07-09-2002, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

That would be great if you could get the part number for me tomorrow.I had a fan switch hooked up, but I took it off partly cause I never really needed it, and I didnt want the dealership blaming the switch incase the car had problems. I have a feeling there gonna blame my underdrive pullies on this. Im gonna ask them how the pullies told my fan not to turn on anymore. Actually the fan still comes on rite after I started it but it only came on for about 30 seconds, and this was when it was still probably 240 degrees. If they cant figure this crap out im gonna call up ford and see if I cant get anywhere, if not then im taking it out and throwing it as far as I can.

1989 LX- torn apart
2001 VW GTi 1.8T
post #7 of 10 Old 07-10-2002, 11:33 AM

LX, my circut breaker # is F5 DZ 14526 AB.

I found out last night that I blew my head gaskets when I overheated last week, I am now in the process of buying replacement parts along with some go-fast goodies.

Just be careful, I only ran it for about 10 minutes when it was pegged in the red and that is all it took, no real power, sweet smelling exhaust, low compression, horrible sounding exhaust, the works of blown head gasket(s).

Good luck!

Night and day
post #8 of 10 Old 07-10-2002, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Damn, jaw773 that really sucks! My exhaust sounded funky too yesterday. When I get it back im gonna have to check the plugs. I have a F5ZZ-14526-AA. Im just about to call the dealership to find out whats going on with my car.

1989 LX- torn apart
2001 VW GTi 1.8T
post #9 of 10 Old 07-10-2002, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Just got done talking to the service writer. He said they drove it for a while and the breaker tripped, so they put another one in and it tripped, so there gonna replace the whole fan. I told them the fan was making a noise and to check to see if it was drawing to much! Well when I get it back Ill see if I popped a head gasket

1989 LX- torn apart
2001 VW GTi 1.8T
post #10 of 10 Old 07-10-2002, 01:51 PM

The best bet to check for a blown headgasket is a cylinder leak-down test, test two adjoining cylinders and see if the pressure drops fast or slow. Fast = bye-bye head gasket, many hours under the hood : slow = that the gasket is in good condition and no worries.

Yes it sucks, but now I can get in my goodies and smile a nice smile when done (hopefully at least)!!

Night and day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement