Scanner - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-30-2002, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Scanner

Can anyone help me with wiring in a scanner to my alarm?? The problem is I have a ground when DISARMED and I need a ground when ARMED wire..... Does anyone know how to wire a relay for this???

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-30-2002, 10:11 PM

There are 5 wires on a standard Bosch relay like you would get at Radio Shack. The inputs are labled 30, 85, 86, 87A and 87.

Wire 30 to Ground
Wire 85 to +12 V
Wire 86 to your alarms ground when disarmed output
Wire 87A to the ground on your scanner
Wire 87 to any ground when disarmed accessories you may have.

Here is a good web page if you really want to understand how the relay works. http://www.classictruckshop.com/club...osch/relay.htm

Wire them as shown in the diagram and you will be good to go.

Good luck.

Last edited by TobyGaff; 06-30-2002 at 10:17 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-01-2002, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

!

OK, I wired a relay as above and it KINDA works... if I touch a ground to the pin that the starter wire ( - when disarmed) wire is connected to, the scanner goes off. It will then stay off until I turn on the alarm (as it should). but then when I turn the alarm off, the scanner won't go off unless I touch a ground to the starter wire side again... HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-02-2002, 12:31 AM

You have it wired right, but it sounds like you have the wrong relay. You have a latching relay. You need to get a Radio Shack 275-226 relay. If you switch relays to that kind, you will be all set.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-02-2002, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

First of all, thanks for all your help! I went to Radio Shack an bought a 275-226 relay, but it only has 4 pins!!! I went back to try and find one with 5 and didn't see one anywhere... The relay I bought has pins 85, 86, 30, and 87, NO 87a.... help!?!
post #6 of 6 Old 07-03-2002, 10:47 AM

I apologize. I did give you the wrong part number. That is a SPST relay. You need a SPDT relay. I can't seem to find one on their web site to give you the part number, put I know that they sell them because I have bought them there before. If you can't find them there, you should be able to buy them at any car audio store, or even at the car audio installation dept at Circuit City or Best Buy. They are the most common relay ever used. Tell them that you need a "Single Pole Dual Throw non-latching relay".

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by TobyGaff; 07-03-2002 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement