wiring guru's....radio and headlights related. plus i installed fog lights! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-24-2010, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
wiring guru's....radio and headlights related. plus i installed fog lights!

well i finally got around to installing the fog lights i bought 8 months ago, lol. they look great. i did the wiring fix from this site and they work perfect. here's some pics of that...

while i was in there, i decided to pull my dash to trace a wiring issue i've had for a while now. it involves my radio and my headlight switch. the radio works fine when my lights are off, but when i turn them on, the initial flip of the headlight switch causes the radio to cut out, then it turns back on and works normal unless i'm sitting at idle. when i'm sitting at idle, if my rpms drop below about 800rpm, the radio will cut out. since my idle is a tad choppy, it causes it to repeatedly cut in and out and gets reaaaallllyyyy annoying.

a few years ago when i installed my aftermarket radio, i noticed that a previous owner had hacked the original wiring to install a crappy radio that i was replacing at the time. when i installed my new radio, i tried to just use the same wires that the previous owner had used. none of them were original, but some were butt connected to a few of the original wires.

the only thing i can think of is that a previous owner spliced into the headlight switch harness somewhere and it's causing too much of a load at idle with the headlights on. the only two wires i believe that can do this on the radio is the 12v constant (battery) or the 12v switch (accessory) wire. the 12v constant (battery) was hooked up to a factory green/yellow stripe wire and the 12v switch (accessory) was hooked up to a factory orange/black stripe wire. does anyone know what these go to and what would be a better source for both 12v power sources? i also had the 12v switch wire for my autometer oil pressure gauge spliced in with the orange/black wire.

sorry so long, thanks a lot!

black 1987 GT
Thumper e7's with 1.94/1.6 valves, Anderson n-412 cam, cobra intake, Turbonetics 62-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-25-2010, 11:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Radio

You have a voltage drop! What alternator are you running? If it nis the standard fox 75A. there is your problem.

post #3 of 3 Old 05-25-2010, 11:53 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
how would his alternator be the problem? the cars were stock with an alternator, the radio works at idle, along with lights and defroster, etc...
I would suggest getting an ETVM for your specific year of vehicle, you can find the wiring for it as well available on numerous sites, do a search....

"All your base are belong to us"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement