fan recall - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-10-2002, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Angry fan recall

To who ever cares. Had the fan recall done 1/14/02.At the time I told them its was a bad idea to just put a realy in to solve the fan problem. My thinking is if the relay pops ,then you have no fan to cool your motor.Well saturday I`m sitting in line at the car wash with the a/c on.....and you guessed it the fan went.I had no idea until i looked down and saw the guage all the way to the right. And the steam puring out from under the hood.Well got the car off to side of the of the building and had it towed home.When I checked the fan it is bound up pretty bad , the bearing was very dry.I found someone that could get me a motor for the fan 129.00.So I`m waiting for that .In the mean time when i checked the antifreze it was grey which it wasn `t before saturday.Flushed the whole system put new anti freeze and fired it up for a couple of minutes and now the radiator has a leak at the seam between the aluminum and the plastic were it was epoxyed.Called ford to see if they would do anything but they said tough , to many miles no extened warranty.The moral of the story change your fan dont wait. Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-10-2002, 07:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (14)
Garage
Yup,im not a fan of the way they "update" the fan,a resistor and a zip tie.Id sooner just put a whole new fan in.

Tony
New project : Dads 91 LX 351W rebuild
post #3 of 15 Old 06-10-2002, 08:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by 1quick95
Yup,im not a fan of the way they "update" the fan,a resistor and a zip tie.Id sooner just put a whole new fan in.
I was told by my buddy that works at Ford that he thought they were putting a breaker in the fan circuit as the fix. You've seen them use a resistor? I'm assuming they're doing that to lower the voltage going to the fan? Just trying to figure this out so I don't have any overheating....cause with my luck I'll never peak at the guage while she's fryin

BTW, I like your avatar....too bad the broke up

Scotty we need more power!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-10-2002, 08:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (14)
Garage
It could very well be,i had a Taurus come in the other day with the recall done and i just took a quick glance.Either way,im not a fan of bolting on a bandaid.It may work great,but im just a little anal when it comes to stuff like that.Like the fact that when i did my fuel system i bought a new gas tank"because the rest of the system was new"....so,yes,im strange.

Tony
New project : Dads 91 LX 351W rebuild
post #5 of 15 Old 06-10-2002, 08:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I got the complete assembly. It all depends on if the dealer wants to take good care of you or not.

[email protected] N/A (CMS II's)
[email protected] NX 150 shot
[email protected] 1/8 best 60', 1.43
Stock motor, cams only
post #6 of 15 Old 06-11-2002, 12:14 AM

Trader Feedback: (16)
Garage
I put 2 fan motors on my 95GT prior to the recall, I have not had the recall done because of the way they tend to butcher the wiring. I will add a breaker myself if it comes to that. On a side note both times my fan motor was going south I could fell a vibration when the fan would come on and later I could smell it prior to them quiting competely.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-11-2002, 08:31 AM

I recently had the fan recall done. I was driving home when the original fan blew out. Took it to the dealership and they gave me a whole new fan, motor, and also put the relay and breakers in. From what I read on the FSA (01S30), they will either put in a breaker, or if your fan is already blown, they'll give you a new fan, motor, etc. Since mine already blew, I got a new one and this motor is different from the old one. It's not as exposed as the old one. it has like a cap on it. Here's my advice, on my receipt, it says that I have a 12mos/12K mile warranty on all work performed at the dealership. Bring that car back and get the dealer to fix it. If he fixed it right the first time, it would not have blown.

Henry

2004 Mystichrome #117 Cobra Convertible #366, bone stock with 3,100 miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 BMW DINAN 550i Sport S Package - the beater car
post #8 of 15 Old 06-11-2002, 05:49 PM

That sucks. I would still try to get Ford to pay for the repairs...it is under warranty for 12 months.
They replaced my whole fan and the wiring harness (the fan still worked too) plus added the circuit breaker. My dealership said they did it just to make sure because the fan was drawing a little too much amperage and it might be going out soon.

Last edited by StarrMan; 06-11-2002 at 05:51 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-12-2002, 01:54 AM

I'm not up to speed with the recall, but I am purchasing a 95 GT soon, and I don't like the way dealers "deal" with cars. Can I just install a after-market fan, like aluminum that increases air flow? Would this fix the entire fan situation?

Joe
post #10 of 15 Old 06-12-2002, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

follow up on fan

Got new fan in last night bought it from NAPA.It is the same fan fron the same manufacturer that built it for Ford. Had to flush the coolant cause it turned a nasty grey color. Changed the belt while I was at it,and put in a 180 thermostat. Now the car is running hotter than before the fan went. It used to stay around the O and the R on the gauge. Now it goes straight up in the M range. The fan does kick on and cools it back down to the R. This happens when the car is stopped for awhile. When its going down the highway its at the R most of the time. I dont think its serious but it is running hotter than it used to. Any suggestions on this would be great. Thanks.

post #11 of 15 Old 06-12-2002, 09:13 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
When my fan motor died (prior to recall), I bought a new one at O'riely's for like $56.00. I still have a semi melted connector that I'd like to get taken care of in the recall if I can though.

Mike

Mike Hedgepeth
95GT with 347 stroker, PTK single T-66 turbo kit, Greddy Profec B boost controller, 3.08's, T-56, AFR 185cc heads, Holley Systemax II intake, FTI custom turbo cam, Pro M 80, 75mm TB, 1.6 RR, Dr Gas X-pipe, Magnaflow Catback, 55 lb inj/dual 255 lph inline pumps with fuel system, Maximum Motorsports suspension, underdrive pulleys, Fluidyne aluminum radiator, Tweecer RT, Romac balancer, aluminum driveshaft, Bullitt brakes, Torque thrust II's,
372.5 rwhp/ 381.9 rwtq N/A
1/4 [email protected]

Turbo numbers so far:
12 lbs bleeding down to 9 lbs of boost 517 rwhp/576 rwtq.
post #12 of 15 Old 06-12-2002, 09:24 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Re: follow up on fan

Quote:
Originally posted by njbillt
Got new fan in last night bought it from NAPA.It is the same fan fron the same manufacturer that built it for Ford. Had to flush the coolant cause it turned a nasty grey color. Changed the belt while I was at it,and put in a 180 thermostat. Now the car is running hotter than before the fan went. It used to stay around the O and the R on the gauge. Now it goes straight up in the M range. The fan does kick on and cools it back down to the R. This happens when the car is stopped for awhile. When its going down the highway its at the R most of the time. I dont think its serious but it is running hotter than it used to. Any suggestions on this would be great. Thanks.
How are your other colling components? Did you install the 180 thermo the right way? I would also try to reflush it. Sometimes you when you flush a system, not all of the crap comes out and some deposits sit in "new" places. This may be causing some coolant blockage and not allowing the proper amount of coolant to flow.

94 Oxford White GT. 18" Saleen wheels with BFG Drag Radials. Vortech S-Trim, etc. 89 Oxford White Notchback. Chrome Pony Wheels, Full exhaust, Pulleys, yadda yadda yadda, 94 GT Vert (Stockish cruiser)
post #13 of 15 Old 06-12-2002, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Yes I made sure that the thermostat was in correctly. Every thing else seems fine and the car is running great. I will try to flush it again.thanks.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-12-2002, 03:21 PM

njbillt,

My fan died last August and I too put in a Napa motor and all seemed well. Also replaced the radiator, water pump, both temperature sensors, thermostat, and all hoses. Got the recall notice after the first of this year and took it in. The dealer reimbursed me for the Napa motor and put on the circuit breaker thing. Ran fine for an hour or so and then started to get really hot. Took out the breaker and the temperature came down and was fine. Took it back to the dealer and they installed the complete fan (without the circuit breaker) for free. Haven't had a problem since. There must be something with the Napa motor that the computer does not like. If you don't like to have the dealer under your hood just go by the new design fan from Ford and install it yourself. Like I said, I am not using the circuit breaker from the recall. Dealer said the new fan already has it built in.

95 GT. Mostly stock for now.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-12-2002, 03:34 PM

njbillt,

Just read your post again and trying to remember back to my problem. Like you, my engine got REALLY hot after the fan died. My gage also read hot after I put in the Napa motor. I changed the temperature sensor for the gage, as well as the computer, and that brought it back down to normal. Also, check for coolant in your oil to make sure you didn't crack a head when it went hot.

95 GT. Mostly stock for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement