Manual Fan switch - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-27-2002, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Manual Fan switch

I am thinking about getting this done. How easy is it, I have the article in my hands. Any problems with the guys who have already done it? Will it effect anything, now that I have the recall done on the fan (added circuit breaker). How much time in labour? Any other tips or tricks that you can give me. How does the car run after? Looks like a good mod.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-27-2002, 08:15 PM

It's a great mod - especially if you run on the warm side. Cooling time when switched on only takes about 2 minutes and it drops the temp. about 30° for me. Just make sure you dont leave the switch on while your at an idle for long. It draws allot of amps and before you know it you voltmeter is down at 10. Very easy mod - should only take about an hour or less.

post #3 of 10 Old 05-27-2002, 08:53 PM

my tip is:
the wire the article says to splice into runs to the eec.
instead of splicing into the wire at the fan, splice into it at the eec. it saves you from running a wire all the way from the fan to inside the car.
also, don't run it much with the engine off, it draws alot of juice.

68 coupe
351W PT-88 E-98
700hp/643tq [email protected]
radials/street driven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-27-2002, 09:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Where is this tech article at? I've looked in the tech section but can't find it.

Hatch 351W
post #5 of 10 Old 05-28-2002, 01:07 AM

go to http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/, click on the mustang picture and look for the fan relay article
post #6 of 10 Old 05-30-2002, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Can someone provide a list of parts that I would need for the fan install. Which do you recommend? Soldering or just wrapping a wire to the fan wire. Where is the best place to put the switch?
post #7 of 10 Old 06-04-2002, 02:56 PM

At what temp do you guys turn the fan on and then at what temp do you turn it off? Also My car seems to run really hot and was wondering if by doing this mod if I could accidently damage something? Also what size of wire do you recomend when doing this mod?

Thanx
post #8 of 10 Old 06-04-2002, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Prince95
At what temp do you guys turn the fan on and then at what temp do you turn it off? Also My car seems to run really hot and was wondering if by doing this mod if I could accidently damage something? Also what size of wire do you recomend when doing this mod?

Thanx
I usually don't like my temp to go above 210° so I turn my fan on then. The stock fan switch doesn't kick on till 220&deg and it's only half speed anyway; but that is too hot for me. With the fan switch on the temp will then level off to 192° and stay there as long as it's on.

The only way you'll damage something is if you accidently apply power to the switch and it freaks out the CCRM module. Just dont do that.

Since the wire is ground, any guage would work, just not something rediculously small.

BTW...OMG!!! I didnt mean to triple post! Crap!

Last edited by blueneonman; 06-04-2002 at 09:07 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-04-2002, 10:52 PM

I am assuming that this is the correct way to do it right? I have seen a post claiming the wire is green and black but this one clearly states that the wire I am looking for is Green and Purple, which is correct?
http://www.americanmustang.com/techa.../techtip17.htm
post #10 of 10 Old 06-05-2002, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Prince95
I am looking for is Green and Purple, which is correct?
green/purple. you don't need a big guage wire because it's just going to a relay, so it's not carrying much current. just match the guage wire that you're splicing into.

68 coupe
351W PT-88 E-98
700hp/643tq [email protected]
radials/street driven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement