Manual Fan Switch Install Question - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-23-2002, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Manual Fan Switch Install Question

After reading the tech article on how put a switch in to manually control the fan I decided that this was something that I should do. Well I spliced into the #17 wire and grounded it. I hear a click from the module but the fan does not spin. Anyone got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-23-2002, 10:21 AM

Hmm...the #17 wire (green/black) is the right wire. Did you screw the CCRM connector in all the way. How about your connections. Are they tight? How did you tie in the ground wire to the #17 wire? Is your ground wire of the right gauge?

Also I assume you are using a simple on/off switch. If it's a switch that has 3 leads on it (one sig., one ground, and one 12V if it's a lighted switch), make sure you put the 12V wire on the right lead. If the switch is not lighted, you just need to have one end of the switch tied to a good ground and the other to the #17 wire.

post #3 of 16 Old 05-23-2002, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I used the same gage wire and used one of those plastic wire splicer gizmos. I hate using those things but it was pretty tight to get a soldering iron into. I should try taking it off and using a volt meter to run to the ground.

Thanks for the input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-23-2002, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I used the same gage wire and used one of those plastic wire splicer gizmos. I hate using those things but it was pretty tight to get a soldering iron into. I should try taking it off and using a volt meter to run to the ground.

BTW, I thought the # 17 was green and purple. Huum!!!

Thanks for the input
post #5 of 16 Old 05-23-2002, 11:56 AM

Switch

When I first did this mod it did not work at first. I figured out that it was too much power going through the switch that I was useing. I went and bought like a 25volt switch or something like that and have had no problems since then. Good luck.

94 GT, Vortech S-Trim, AFR 165's, BBK Longtubes, Edelbrock RPM Intake, Stock cam.
RWHP 388.1, RWTQ386.1 1.96 60' 12.57 @113.53 MPH
post #6 of 16 Old 05-23-2002, 11:59 AM

Try a new switch

Try useing a switch that can handle higher voltage. I had the same problem until I switched to I believe a 25volt switch and then everything worked fine. If I remember right mine was making a clicking noise and then the fan would stop working. Good luck.

94 GT, Vortech S-Trim, AFR 165's, BBK Longtubes, Edelbrock RPM Intake, Stock cam.
RWHP 388.1, RWTQ386.1 1.96 60' 12.57 @113.53 MPH
post #7 of 16 Old 05-23-2002, 02:37 PM

You do know that there is not supposed to be power going through the switch right?? The switch merely toggles the ground connection on/off.

When you say you used wire splice things do you mean the kind that tap into two wires through a metal piece in the middle or do you mean the round crimp-type cylinder. I find the cylinders are the best.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-23-2002, 03:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
I tapped in at the EEC. Was much easier, and no wires thru the engine compartment. Make sure your getting a good ground.

Gary

Yellow 95 GT vert, Kenne Bell Blowzilla/Flowzilla, Y303 Heads, Water Injection.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I travel all rainy roads, and hydroplane thru life.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-23-2002, 05:15 PM

yellow95, dude. Is the wire the same color at the EEC? Where is it located on it? Where did you mount the switch? Thanks man. Take it easy.

-Billy
post #10 of 16 Old 05-23-2002, 09:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Billy- The wire is the same color at the eec. Take off your kick panel and look at the wires coming thru the firewall. You will find it. Make sure you tap into it good. In the pic below, The top toggle is left and right O2 sensor for the AF guage, and the bottom toggke is for the fan. I wired the green light to come on when the fan is on high. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Gary

Yellow 95 GT vert, Kenne Bell Blowzilla/Flowzilla, Y303 Heads, Water Injection.

I travel all rainy roads, and hydroplane thru life.
post #11 of 16 Old 05-23-2002, 10:05 PM

Gary, what did you tap into it with/ how did you tap into it? Thanks man. Take it easy.

-Billy
post #12 of 16 Old 05-23-2002, 10:26 PM

Lightbulb

Believe it or not, use paper clip jump between #17 + #14 = Fan on high speed. ( Inside the car on the computer is #55 & #32)

GOOD LUCK
post #13 of 16 Old 05-23-2002, 10:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I bought a switch panel from AFM and did this about 3 weeks ago. I used a scotchlock and spliced in right next to the fan. I ran this wire to an in-line fuse and then to the power connection on the switch. I then ran a ground from the ground connection on the switch directly to the battery. Everything worked great and I must say the AFM switch panel mounted in the ash tray position looks awesome.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-23-2002, 11:06 PM

Here's my tap. Its a tap with a post for a spade terminal on it.

I just ran the wire to a switch, then grounded that to the dash. No problems..

2003 Cobra Coupe
Dark Shadow Grey
"Ever seen how fast a horse runs after it's been bitten by a snake?"

362 RWHP/355 RWTQ SAE corrected. 1000 miles, stock w/o silencer.
401 RWHP/370 RWTQ SAE corrected. 3800 miles, Steeda CAI, Borla Stinger.
post #15 of 16 Old 05-28-2002, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas. Hopefully, I just need to run a better wire.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-28-2002, 07:21 PM

did this today, worked great, used some wire, a scotch lock connector (like the pic above) ran the one end to the ground bolt by the incar fuse panel, and it works great, now i just need a cool switch, and need to mount it, im going to mess around with the defrost switch see if i can get that to work, but thats going to be a lot of work, i think

(anybody got info, is it momentary, or constant, im guessing momentary?)

Also did the rewire of the fogs today... took a whopping 5 minutes total

Used a scotch lock, a male spade, 2 more scotch locks (as a fuse holder for a 10 amp fuse

Ryan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement