Powertrax no-slip unit - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 06-27-2003, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Powertrax no-slip unit

'nother question...any good or bad experiences with these units? They almost seem too good to be true...what about the locker version? Local guy said they're a bear to install and he'd never do another one, but that contradicts the mfr. ('course, everybody says their product can be installed in 30 minutes with a hammer, pliers and screwdriver by a person of average ability...)

Also, anybody know where I can get metallurgy information on the stock carrier and spider gears pinion shaft? If that's the weak point, why not just machine one out of tougher metal?

I'm in the process of rebuilding the whole rear axle now for #3 son...he bought a set of 3.73 gears and took them to the "best mechanic in town" who proceeded to rebuild it with a GM crush sleeve...to make a long story short, the car came home making severe chomping and chewing noises, with about a quarter inch of side to side play at the pinion flange...and I'm not about to let the guy try to fix his job...now I'm helping clean up the mess but, hey, what are Dads for, right? Not to worry, I get to drive it first when we get back to the track...

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-27-2003, 03:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
i actually have been looking into one for my s10 blazer, i figured if it can take a whooping in that why not try for the stang, a few jeep guys in my area have them and love them, they just say its loud. who cares about that, i haven't heard of them breaking but you never know.

lots-o-scrap with a procharger
post #3 of 3 Old 07-01-2003, 01:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
My friend has one and although he does not race as much as us he launches at 5k on slicks and goes mid 1.6's on the 60' many times with no probs yet. Seems like a good unit for a mild street/strip combo. His car runs 12.5.
Good luck.

Anyone can sit in the stands and talk s**t. Get out there and RACE!!!
PT76GTS blowthrough...sold. Cool but not what I wanted.
was running a 14 to 1 Man O War 427 with High Ports.Sold.
now running a 412 Windsor with Vic heads and a .700 solid roller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement