how to make 60fts better - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-05-2003, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (29)
how to make 60fts better

right now my best 60ft is a 1.93. my best run is 8.73 at 80.65 mph in the 1/8 mile. i know my car can go deeper into the 8's with better 60 fts. im using bfg drag radials and im not spinning. i have to leave at an idle, if i foot brake the car wants to move, i cannot leave with any rpm.

the car is and ex 4banger and i still have the 4 cyl brake booster, would it help if i changed to a later model to hold more vacum? what about a line lock on the rear wheels?

thanks for the help

Kevin Clouse
89 notchback RIP.
94 Mustang 347 a4 block, twisted wedge heads, super victor intake, c4 transmission, 4.56 gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-05-2003, 02:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Garage
For maximum 60 ft with an auto, it is best to leave just barely above idle, then stab it hard. Basically this is called flashing the converter. In my car I have a 3200 rpm converter and I used to have a PI 2800 similar to yours. I found the sweet spot would be to hold the brakes and stall the car up to about 12-1300 rpm or so, then stab it when the lights go green.
Explain how your brakes are working. Are the front wheels rolling forward, or being pushed forward and locked up. If they are rolling, then you definitely need to do something about the brakes.
Other than that stuff, once you get to a point where you are spinning a little, or even now really, get a set of 90/10 drag struts up front. I assume you're still running the four cylinder springs up there which are good for drag racing, however the rear springs are probably too weak. The rear of the car needs to be fairly stiff to minimize squat. When the rear of the car squats, then it has nothing to do but bounce back up and when it bounces back up, you'll lose traction. I saw a video of my car proving this very point. Install a set of air bags in the rear springs and adjust them accordingly to stiffen up the rear.
Now look at getting some weight off the front of the car, move the battery to the rear, go to a manual steering rack, remove the a/c stuff, cruise control stuff, get a fiberglass hood, k-member, etc...

With a 2800 stall and appropriate suspension work in a 3100-3200 lb car, you should be cutting low 1.7x sixty foots on drag radials, if not better. I was cutting mid 1.6x on drag radials with my PI converter at 2800, but my motor probably makes a little more low end torque than you do.

Carl S.: 417", Yates C3s, Edelbrock 2828, Dominator, Powerglide, 4.10s, 3100 lbs raceweight. 1.27 60' [email protected] nitrous on 275/60 Mickeys in Ultra trim
2014 Ruby Red GT Auto, bone stock for now
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj77/carlrenee1/sigpic1-1.jpg
post #3 of 7 Old 06-05-2003, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the information, i will have to try that technique next time out.

the brakes work, they just wont hold any rpm when footbraking, they start to spin with just very little throttle. i dont even think it will hold to 1200 rpm. but i will have to try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-05-2003, 03:26 PM

Garage
I guess I forgot to ask what kind of tires you are running. That is also very important. I just assumed you were on slicks. The brakes aren't there to keep the rear wheels from spinning. All the brakes do is keep the car from rolling forward. If you're spinning the rear wheels, but not pushing the front wheels forward (rolling, not sliding), then you need better tires and maybe some weight on the rear end. If you're on some dinky small 225/60 street tires, I can see why they're spinning.

Carl S.: 417", Yates C3s, Edelbrock 2828, Dominator, Powerglide, 4.10s, 3100 lbs raceweight. 1.27 60' [email protected] nitrous on 275/60 Mickeys in Ultra trim
post #5 of 7 Old 06-05-2003, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

im using 235/60/15 drag radials, they do not spin on launch, but if i footbrake and bring the rpm up, they spin and the car tried to move thru the staging beams.

Kevin Clouse
89 notchback RIP.
94 Mustang 347 a4 block, twisted wedge heads, super victor intake, c4 transmission, 4.56 gears.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-06-2003, 01:49 PM

Garage
Nittos or BFG's? 235/60 is not a very big tire, barely bigger than stockers. That may be a big part of your problem! I ran 275/50/15 on a 15x8 Weld Draglite rim and it was nearly 11" wide and about 26-27" tall. I hooked very well on them. If its in the budget, you might try selling those to someone and getting the bigger tire. FWIW I've seen a 275/60 BFG mounted on a stock 10 hole and now that is a tire. It looks to be 28" tall and about 10" wide.
Other than that, are you sure your converter is a 2800 and not like a 2200 or something? If its not the tires causing the problem, then your converter is too tight! Why don't you see if you can borrow some slicks from a buddy and make a couple passes and see how they do, that'll eliminate the tire issue.

post #7 of 7 Old 06-06-2003, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

the tires are one of the things i cant decide on, i know i need something new, bigger, but i cant decide between drag redials, or slicks, i like to convience of the dr's but i know slicks would be better and probably more consistent.

I know its not the converter, the last converter i had was too tight and i was 60fting in the 2.20 range, the new converter has dropped that to the 1.9's im getting now. so i believe it is time for some better tires.

thanks for all your help and info.

Kevin Clouse
89 notchback RIP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement