Anyone here ever break an upper control arm , or am I the first? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-01-2003, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Anyone here ever break an upper control arm , or am I the first?

Tonight at the strip I noticed that when I would shift, the car would make a louder than normal "bang" noise in the rear suspension area.
Took a quick glance and didn't notice anything obvious. On the next pass, the car didn't 60ft worth a sh*t (1.89) and was way loose coming out of the hole.
Last run, as soon as I dumped the clutch, I heard this god awful grinding/scraping noise so I let off and the car was wandering all the way down the track. Pulled over on the return road and as soon as I got out of the car I noticed that the driverside rear tire was inward about 1-2"
Limped the car back to the pits (first time I have ever actually done the 5 mph speed limit up the return road) jack up the rear and found that the upper control arm had broken and pulled through the "eye" on the rear housing bringing the bushing out with it. But at least it still got a 1.66 60ft
Is this common? The rear suspension is stock.

Just wondering

Brian

1989 Mustang LX ragtop
342 Iron Eagle, AFR 205's, Victor 5.0 intake, etc...
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft. on a 200 shot 3600lb race weight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-01-2003, 10:31 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Re: Anyone here ever break an upper control arm , or am I the first?

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBrain
Tonight at the strip I noticed that when I would shift, the car would make a louder than normal "bang" noise in the rear suspension area.
Took a quick glance and didn't notice anything obvious. On the next pass, the car didn't 60ft worth a sh*t (1.89) and was way loose coming out of the hole.
Last run, as soon as I dumped the clutch, I heard this god awful grinding/scraping noise so I let off and the car was wandering all the way down the track. Pulled over on the return road and as soon as I got out of the car I noticed that the driverside rear tire was inward about 1-2"
Limped the car back to the pits (first time I have ever actually done the 5 mph speed limit up the return road) jack up the rear and found that the upper control arm had broken and pulled through the "eye" on the rear housing bringing the bushing out with it. But at least it still got a 1.66 60ft
Is this common? The rear suspension is stock.

Just wondering

Brian
when you say stock, do you mean stock type or the actual stock control arms? if the original arms are in place then yes, i have seen others break them. they flex with stock horsepower so, i would imagine any increase in power would lead to some sort of breakage down the road. 5.0roy

88 notch...10.38 @ 130.17, 2001 ranger edge.......89 stock lx 13.51 @ 102...........I need a hooptie.......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-01-2003, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Anyone here ever break an upper control arm , or am I the first?

Quote:
Originally posted by 5.0roy
when you say stock, do you mean stock type or the actual stock control arms? if the original arms are in place then yes, i have seen others break them. they flex with stock horsepower so, i would imagine any increase in power would lead to some sort of breakage down the road. 5.0roy
Yes, I mean the actual stock factory installed arms.
Looks like it's time to upgrade

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-01-2003, 03:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I imagine at your 4500# raceweight the stock stamped anything would be about ready to break no?

'93 LX coupe
post #5 of 8 Old 06-01-2003, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by 93-ex-chp
I imagine at your 4500# raceweight the stock stamped anything would be about ready to break no?
Hey Joe...............
post #6 of 8 Old 07-21-2003, 06:56 PM

Thumbs up

So it looks like you're not the first, but the second.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 Old 07-21-2003, 07:16 PM

I ripped my drivers side upper. It tore through the bushing on the body side. I thought I was the only one........ I am in the process of putting on adjustable uppers to go with my solid lowers. Everybody says the torque boxes wont last but a pass or two.

90 GT, 299" or is it????? Yates headed, R-Block, Kooks Headers, Demon Carb, Cammotion Cam, Mighty Mite C4, 8" Nitrous Converter, Moser spool & axle package, 4.88s, MT28x10.5s, 5" windshield hood, Prostars, hopefully soon Zex perimeter plate.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-22-2003, 09:34 AM

I cleany RIPPED the whole Pass Uppeer torque box off the car. Then a month later IDestroyed a Ground Pounder Lower control arm BENT IT in a 90 degree angle, They were nice by sending me 2 new lower control arms needless to say the DID NOT GO ON THE CAR.

Stop posting GT40 intakes when they are Explorer intakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement