Help with C-Clip elim. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-29-2003, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Help with C-Clip elim.

I bought a set of moser axles used with them c-clip elim. already installed. I have no instructions and was wondering what was involved. I removed the backing plate and assume the axle tube has to be cut flush with the flange with the 4 bolt holes. Then the c clip eliminators bolt up to the flange. Is this right? Do I need to use a new gasket or should I use some kind of silicone instead. Any tips on what to use to cut the tube? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-29-2003, 10:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Basically you need to cut the housing ends down to the thickness of the backing plate so the bearingblock fits flat across everything back there. Theer is a small raised line around the housing, I just cut it smooth and straight just ahead of that, maybe 1/8" (if that) at most left in front of the flange.

my Straneg eliminators used a gasket but silicone works just fine, we did a friend's that way and siliconed my own after I had them out and ruined the gasket.

post #3 of 7 Old 05-29-2003, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply time Tim, what did you use, sawzall, diegrinder, cutoff wheel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-29-2003, 11:07 PM

I believe a sawzall would work faster and smoother. Call moser and they'll fax them to you. Moser includes silicone in there kit so thats fine. You did not specify what year and brakes ex. disk or drums

Black 90 LX
03 6.0 F-250
post #5 of 7 Old 05-29-2003, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Drums, it came out of a 87-93LX AOD that had a blow HG. Thanks for the response.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-30-2003, 01:41 PM

I used a cut-off wheel as I didn't have acess to a reciprocating saw at the time. I cut it close to final length and used a flat file to true up the cut. In the 2 sets I've done this to I have yet to have a leaky one and I've only had to use a skim of silicone, not massive globs.

Plug the tubes with a rag before cutting just to keep the debris out as well. Don't need metal shavings floating around inside.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-31-2003, 09:15 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (8)
I can't find the instructions for them, but I think it was 3/8" of tube past the flange. Get the info from moser to be sure. The remaining tube locates the bearing retainer and gives it something to help seal on. I used a metal square to make sure it was square all the way around the tube, grinding and then filing to finish it off. Like TC said, plug the tubes as best you can, the filings will kill your bearings! After four years of draging and driving it on the street no leaks or other problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement