Battery relocate question (NHRA rules) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-28-2003, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Battery relocate question (NHRA rules)

I need to know how thick the rear bulkhead needs to be. I race at an IHRA track and there's nothing about bulkheads with batteries in the trunk in the rulebook. I want to be legal at a NHRA track too. I think it's 0.024 for steel and 0.032 for aluminum, but I want to be sure.

Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-28-2003, 08:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Dave...You have a hatchback correct...I have a hatch as well in my NMRA PURESTREET CAR and i don't have a bulk head in my car but if you have a fuel cell then you need a divider for your car.

" In trouble as always"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need a Roll bar or custom Cage?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Darrin Carter...C&C Motorsports..chicago/michigan.

NMRA P/S 5006

With Help From:

FTI
HarlandSharp
Whites pit's stop.
CenterForce Clutches.
JPC Racing.
AXLES ETC..Lansing, Ill
Moving Solutions..Belmont Mi.
SuttonHP..Matteson,Ill
Liss CarStar collision Center..crown point Ind.
PakMan MotorSports Inc, LockPort, Ill
Pro-Systems Carburetors..Spring Lake, Mi
Denso Iridium spark plugs.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-28-2003, 08:19 PM
US Air Force Active Duty

Dave, I just checked the 2003 rulebook and you are correct. You can also use a approved box with a vent and no firewall is required.

2011 GT
1991 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-28-2003, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

No, it's a coupe. No battery box. I pulled the backseat, so I've got a big hole now... tech won't like it.

1990 LX Coupe
A/C, Smog, P/S, Swaybar Deleted, 3G, 4.10 Gears, UPR Blue Thunder, BBK Shorties, OR H-pipe,
March Underdrives, Relocated battery, 65mm TB/EGR, 73mm C&L, Taurus Fan, Flaming River Manual Rack,
Autometer Ultralites, RCI buckets, Maximum CC Plates, Maximum LCA's, Eibach Drag Launch kit, Weld Draglites

Best to date: 13.468 at 100.17
Best 60': 1.766

How To:
post #5 of 7 Old 05-28-2003, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks ROCKET91

1990 LX Coupe
A/C, Smog, P/S, Swaybar Deleted, 3G, 4.10 Gears, UPR Blue Thunder, BBK Shorties, OR H-pipe,
March Underdrives, Relocated battery, 65mm TB/EGR, 73mm C&L, Taurus Fan, Flaming River Manual Rack,
Autometer Ultralites, RCI buckets, Maximum CC Plates, Maximum LCA's, Eibach Drag Launch kit, Weld Draglites

Best to date: 13.468 at 100.17
Best 60': 1.766

How To:
post #6 of 7 Old 05-30-2003, 10:12 AM

Dave,
I posted a question similar to this. I hear that if you use the Moroso box, you will not even need a bulkhead.

2003 DSG Cobra
1994 Lightning
post #7 of 7 Old 05-31-2003, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jbes3
Dave,
I posted a question similar to this. I hear that if you use the Moroso box, you will not even need a bulkhead.

You heard right. With the NHRA you must meet one of two requirements. Either the box is sealed and vented, or there is a bulkhead sealing the battery from the driver's compartment. In a hatchback, the easiest requirement to meet is a battery box. In a coupe, putting up $20 worth of 20 gage aluminum is easier and cheaper than a legal box.

With the IHRA, the rules are a little fuzzy in this area. All I can find is that with a hatchback you have to have a sealed and vented box. They mention nothing about a rear bulkhead. I don't even know if a bulkhead in a hatchback, such as the one from Wolfe, would be legal.

Last night was the first time at the track with my relocated battery and all tech asked was if I had a cutoff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement