How much will powershifting help? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-25-2003, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
How much will powershifting help?

Went to US60 Dragway Hardinsburg,Ky last night and made the following four (4) 1/8 mile passes without powershifting.

1.61 - 7.25 @ 100.13
1.64 - 7.29 @ 100.53
1.62 - 7.30 @ 99.89
1.67 - 7.29 @ 99.63

Temperature was 70 degrees, track not hooking its best, have gone 1.52 60's and even with fresh 28 X 12.5 ET Streets couldnt hook up real well. Oh well, at least I was consistent with my TKO.

All these passes would have net me 11.20's at about 126-127 which is where Cobra usually is.

Question is, how much would powershifting knock off my ET??

I am looking for 6.90's @ 102.5 and 10.80's at 129.0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-26-2003, 04:04 PM

Mark--If you can do it without hitting the rev limiter, it should be worth a 0.1 at least, depending on how hard you are shifting it now. If you hit the rev limiter, then it will hurt because the car will stutter too bad. That's why I don't do it. But I don't let off much either, just enough to keep from hitting the limiter.

You might try it short shifting to get a feel for how close to the limiter you are going to get.

Joe

99 Cobra Convert, 99GT live axle, 31 spline C-Locker, Mark Williams axles, HPM upper and lower, FMS alum driveshaft. Pro-Motion pro-shifted TKO-500 trans.
28x10/15 ET Drags on Pro-Star 15x10, 6.5BS wheels Star Stage 3S clutch, MAFterburner Plus, Aeromotive A1000-6 regulator, return style fuel system,
Aug, 2003 forged motor, HP cams, SHM valve springs, short runner intake, SCT Flasher for tuning. Best
150 shot is 10.77 at 127.8 mph in very good air. 1.35 60'.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-26-2003, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Powershifting

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Lynch
Mark--If you can do it without hitting the rev limiter, it should be worth a 0.1 at least, depending on how hard you are shifting it now. If you hit the rev limiter, then it will hurt because the car will stutter too bad. That's why I don't do it. But I don't let off much either, just enough to keep from hitting the limiter.

You might try it short shifting to get a feel for how close to the limiter you are going to get.

Joe
Joe- Thanks for the reply! Good to hear from you. Haven't noticed you posting any new times this year?

Anyhow, I did get out today and practiced. Had no problems hammering away at 6000K. Just got to get the guts to do it at 7000-7200.

Guess I'll save it for the Mod Shootout in Columbus, Oh. July 26-27th.

Switched from 27.5 to 26.0 tall skinnies and seems my 60' has increased about .08-.10. Is there a break in period with new ET Streets? I made those (4) posted passes with them, all with strong 2nd gear smokey warm ups!

Hit 127.0 mph at Beech Bend, so I know I am making enough mph to go ten's!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-27-2003, 12:27 AM

U should drop me a pm next time you go up to Hardinsburg, a good friend of mine runs his 93 Cobra up there and he just purchased an 03 as well, we are wanting to get back up that way! Whats your impression of it compared to Beech Bend hows your 1/8 times and mph's at Beech Bend compare with Hardinsburg???

Satin Silver 03 Cobra APTEN, 10inch Powerstack, Offroad X, Mac Catback, 2.80 & 2lb lower , Accufab, Diablsport. 11.04 @ 131.6 1.7460ft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement