Ford Mustang Forums banner

Anyone spun a rim on a tire launching?????

618 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  bitemark46 
#1 ·
Went to the track today and was on 275/50/15 BFG DR's. Well after a few passes they worked fine. Then my last pass I spun alittle(launched too high) and went I came to the ticket booth the guy said my tire was flat. It was the drivers side rear(both tires at 14psi). I looked at it and sure enough it was flat. Not low, just flat. I pulled the wheel off and checked for punctures. None. My only guess is that I spun the rim.

Now here's the question. Can I still use the tire if I spun it on the wheel? And if so do I have to put those bolts to hold the tire to the rim? Thanks. -Mark

#3 ·
The tire most likely wasn't seated on the bead properly or became unseated... what kind of rim are you running that tire on? If it's a 7 inch rim those tires might be a big too big for the rim. The issue with re-using the tire isn't that you spun it on the rim... the issue is that you probably drove quite a ways entirely flat.... that can wreck a tire pretty damn easy.....

If the tire looks ok I'd say just get it reseated with some bead sealer and run it again... you should be alright.

#4 ·
The CDP said:
The tire most likely wasn't seated on the bead properly or became unseated... what kind of rim are you running that tire on? If it's a 7 inch rim those tires might be a big too big for the rim. The issue with re-using the tire isn't that you spun it on the rim... the issue is that you probably drove quite a ways entirely flat.... that can wreck a tire pretty damn easy.....

If the tire looks ok I'd say just get it reseated with some bead sealer and run it again... you should be alright.
The rim was a convo pro 15x8.5 I didn't notice the car leaning to one side or get loose on the run. I'll make sure and put bead sealer on this time. Where can I get some of that? I assume at a local autoparts store. Thanks. -Mark

#5 ·
If you run a few more lbs. of tire pressure will it hurt your traction (I've never run DRs before). If not, around 20psi would help insure you keep the bead seated properly. Car should drive better too.

#6 ·
When you get the tires mounted, ask them to put some bead sealer on. Most shops carry it.

As far as running more air to help keep the bead seated, while this is true it may cause traction issues. To find your best pressure, you start at something around 18-20 and run it. If you spun, drop 2 pounds and run again. Keep doing this until it bogs off the line and go back up 1 or 2 pounds. I've seen guys running as little as 8 pounds without screws.

And try to make that turn to the timing shack at a little less speed. I almost sh*t myself the first time i tried it with 14 pounds in my tires.

#7 ·
Mark the rim/tire with shoe polish so you can see how much, if any, shifting is taking place... You should not need rim screws with drag radials.
The suggestion to use rim sealer is right on target.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.