How do you think I'll do my first time at the drag strip w/ my 90 notchback: - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-27-2003, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
How do you think I'll do my first time at the drag strip w/ my 90 notchback:

Hey,
I've never been to the dragstrip but when I get my new tires and rims on (Cobra R 17x9", 275/40 Nitto 555 DR rear and Nitto 555 245/45 front), and after I put a one piece input shaft in my AOD w/ tranny cooler, I'm wanting to go the local strip (only a 1/8 mile). My car has a CompCam, BBK fender air, off road h-pipe, 3.73 gears, no "ground effects" (extra weight), strong running engine w/ only about 50-60k miles (speedo has been off forever), and dual chamber flowmasters (I'm changing the headers soon). The only thing that would add weight I guess is the strut tower brace (I don't want to remove it). My AOD was just built in January ($1,411.00, grrr) after two month of owning the car The guy who did it put in a high performance rebuild kit (I gave him a list of stronger sprag, band, stuff put in, and he figured it out, etc.). It has a good shift kit (chirps gears rather easily) and runs strong. However, I still have the stock converter. Also, I was wanting to know if it would be alright for me to go ahead and take my car to the drag strip w/ the two piece input shaft still in my AOD. I don't want to snap the "pencil" shaft but I don't know if my car would do that on Nitto 555 DR and my engine probably puts out about 350 horsepower to the flywheel (and I thought/think you have to have 400+ HP to snap the "pencil" shaft in the AOD). Well, any help will be appreciated. What do you think my times will be considering the above information. Oh, by the weigh I weight 232.5#s so I add weight as well (I weightlift a lot).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-28-2003, 01:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
That's a tough question. It depends so much on traction. If you can get your 60ft under 2.00 then you should be in the high/mid 13's with a trap speed ~107 mph, if traction sucks, you could end up in the 14's even with 350 HP at the flywheel. Driver makes a difference too. The automatic is a bit of a lug without a better converter. As for your tower brace, don't remove it, in fact I would recommend a set of sub-frame connectors.

I am no expert but I've got my 87 notch running a 13.15 @ 101 mph so far with a stock, speed density engine. I have done a ton of other stuff to the car but the engine is stock. I know you are probably wondering how I can say your 350 HP will run slower, but like I said before, how you put the power down makes all the difference. If your car has not been set-up for this kind of racing, it will not reflect it's true power.

Hope this helps a bit and I hope you post your ET's when you do finally get to the track. I will be curious to see if I was close. Hey, you never know, you could end up running a bunch of high 12's and prove me wrong

Good Luck!

Buzz Haze

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-28-2003, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks,
The local strip is 1/8th so I'll let you know those times. What do you think "13s" would be in the 1/8, 8 seconds or so? Thanks for your time

'90 coupe sold
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? -Mark 8:36
"Nietzsche is dead" -God
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-29-2003, 02:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
You have a cam, cold air off road H pipe and 3.73's...
You would be lucky to be making 250 at the flywheel, unless you forgot to mention heads/intakes/headers/tb/mam etc...

Stock convertor will not want to give you much more than a 1.9 60', and the mod's you listed should put you handy to 100mph in the quater... that should be good for high 13's... but I'm gonna guess 14.2's... that should be 9.1's in the 1/8th.

Mike H.
Duffee 306 and E7te's, Buddy Rawls cam. 368rwhp/363rwtq.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-29-2003, 03:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
AOD track times

Ditto- what CleanLX said about the HP rating. With those mods listed ----guessing 9.3-9.4 in the 1/8th. Good that you got the AOD "built". Get a one piece shaft, tran cooler, and invest in a good converter and you will be very happy. Plan to do the shaft and converter at the same time so you do not have to keep yanking the AOD in-out of the car. Think about what your going to do with the car in the future so you can get the converter configured accordingly.
Post times if you run it.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-29-2003, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.
Well, the problem is with listing my mods is that I *don't know what they are* I know, this stinks horribly. The previous owner did 95% of the engine work, and I just updated the tranny, etc. I still do not know if the cyl. heads are stock or aftermarket, and I don't know if he put in some high compression pistons (if I'm saying that right). I don't think the engine is the original engine, or it was just rebuilt. The whole block has been painted orange (I would have painted it blue, but oh well). After spending some time under the hood, I can tell he spent a good amount of time working on the car and detailing certain things but I dunno what all has been done. I'm going to get my car dynoed in May with the UMC (a Mustang club in SC), so I'll post my hp/torque. I hope I won't be disappointed <shrug> If I'm disappointed, maybe I'll just sale the car of buy a A trim, then upgrade to S-trim and go the "un-natural" route to performance. Or, I could go the cheap way and use nitrous.

'90 coupe sold
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? -Mark 8:36
"Nietzsche is dead" -God
post #7 of 8 Old 04-29-2003, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Here is a pic of my car (it's not that good of a pic)

post #8 of 8 Old 04-29-2003, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Maybe it will work now

Sponsored Links
Advertisement