How fast are you going with your TKO?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 03-10-2003, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question How fast are you going with your TKO??

I was wondering what kind of time people have been able to get realiably out of there TKO Tremec's.

Also,

Who do you get it from?
Clutch set up?
Anybody run a slider set up?

Thanks,

4"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-10-2003, 02:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I am 100% positive that I am not nearly the quickest person on here.
With a TKO and spec stage 3 I went 12.0 with a best mph of 119 on 10psi. The car is now making 13-14 and would easily go low low 11's @ well over 120 if I could drive decent.
Best 60' I pulled was a measly 1.72.

Ive seen guys running low 10's @ over 130mph on a regular TKO. I am certain the TKO+ would do much better.

later
DAN
95 rio red cobra #2021

2014 Shelby GT00- Oxford White/Sonic Blue Stripes
1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021 - SOLD
8.8:1 comp. Dart 331, Procharger D1 16psi, AFR 185, Edelbrock RPM II, custom cam, TKO, Glenns 1000hp fuel system.
690rwhp on Mustang dyno
post #3 of 20 Old 03-11-2003, 07:32 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Friend driving his realstreet car last year RS/8029 went some 10.30's @ 130mph in NMRA legal REALSTREET trim, some 3300lb's!

TKO, HANLON PROSHIFTED, McCleoud (SP?) Sintered Iron disk / clutch setup.

TKO's handle a good bit of power, with the proper shifting they should last awhile. Now run a non proshifted 5 spd with 500+ hp, and miss a gear, longterm wise you might be asking for trouble. .

nothing like banging them manually though. I'll never have an auto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-11-2003, 09:42 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
I ran my 3550 with a spec stage 3 clutch all of last season with out any major problems behind my 347. I did manage to hurt 2nd gear on a missed shift near the end of the season...it would still shift fine on the street...but i couldn't powershift it at the track.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Xtreme 8.5" -Heads up 1/8th mile limited 8.5 class at Kilkare Dragway
Dedpedal Racing;Sponsered by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;Tuned by

Boss block Big bore 347/225 TFS HP's/SR/BW S476R/A2W/PG/FAST xfi on E85
5.33 at 134.9 on 26x8.5 in 1/8th @3380#
post #5 of 20 Old 03-11-2003, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

I was running a 3550 Tremec behind my 408 making 450 rwhp and 100 shot of NOS. I was able to go 10.50's on slicks and 10.90's on radials. I was going to switch to and automatic, but I don't want to give up the 5 speed. I won't run one with that is proshifted, because I want to be able to down shift. So what is a TKO +?? I need something that will support high to mid 9's with the new combonation going in.

4"
post #6 of 20 Old 03-11-2003, 10:52 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Call D+D performance and ask them about the TKO plus, or a Viper spec T-56.

Dan

95 rio red cobra #2021

2014 Shelby GT00- Oxford White/Sonic Blue Stripes
1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021 - SOLD
8.8:1 comp. Dart 331, Procharger D1 16psi, AFR 185, Edelbrock RPM II, custom cam, TKO, Glenns 1000hp fuel system.
690rwhp on Mustang dyno
post #7 of 20 Old 03-11-2003, 02:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I've been 11.71 @ 114 with my regular TKO.

1993 Coupe
Stock Shortblock, TW's, CI Cam, NX, Team Z, Strange
New Times with CI Cam/Valvetrain soon...
post #8 of 20 Old 03-11-2003, 02:54 PM

I've been 11.62 @ 115 with my regular TKO behind 3800# and my new combo this year should be in the 10's.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-11-2003, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4" Stroke
Thanks guys.

I was running a 3550 Tremec behind my 408 making 450 rwhp and 100 shot of NOS. I was able to go 10.50's on slicks and 10.90's on radials. I was going to switch to and automatic, but I don't want to give up the 5 speed. I won't run one with that is proshifted, because I want to be able to down shift. So what is a TKO +?? I need something that will support high to mid 9's with the new combonation going in.

4"
A proshifted transmission *CAN be downshifted, do not hold the opinion that they cannot. I personally have a Liberty Pro Shifted Tremec TKO in my street/ strip car. Obviously you know the story when powershifting a proshifted transmission. It's like butter. You can also drive one normal on the street with alittle more care when upshifting (under normal throttle conditions). You can also *downshift easily in any gear by pressing in the clutch, throwing the transmission in neutral, revving the motor (my example is to around 3200rpms) to get the transmission to match the drivetrain speed and then slowley pull it back or forward into the gear you need. BTW, you can retain 5th gear as a syncho'd gear for highway / crusing use such as I did.

The *ONLY critical aspect of a PROSHIFTED tranny is that you have to come to a COMPLETE stop to put it in first gear.

- How often do you use first gear on the street to downshift too? (crickets chirping).

Another example other than me, one of my closer friends used to deliver pizza EVERYDAY in a mustang with a PROSHIFTED T-5.. .

it's been done, and is happening today.. .

let me know if you have any questions.

case closed.

Last edited by quarterstang86; 03-11-2003 at 03:20 PM.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-11-2003, 05:09 PM

proshifting does nothing to increase the tranys strength though
it only makes it easier on the trany when shifting and makes shifts faster.

my car had a tko in it and im fairly sure its the highest horsepower car i know of that had one.

at 3550 pounds i made 863 rear wheel horses and 949 rear wheel torque the transmission lasted exactly 3 ful throttle blasts before i RIPPED all the teeth off third gear ..

and not on a shift i simply rolled on the gass at 80 miles an hour in third and it riped all the teeth off when the boost came up.

I did however run the car at lower boost makeing 650 rear wheel horses and 700 rear wheel torque without issue for a while.

I would say the tko is good for around 650 flywheel torque honestly for sustained life.

btw the tko + is no stronger on 1-4 that i have seen.. it simply has a diferent overdrive ratio for road raceing.

post #11 of 20 Old 03-11-2003, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by twinturbosaleen
proshifting does nothing to increase the tranys strength though
"it only makes it easier on the trany when shifting and makes shifts faster."

- I have to disagree, although you have valid reasons for the ahnilation of your tranny. Here goes.

With the synchronizers in the tranny you are allowing a very small rotating part to mesh with another, under such a load during extreme conditions (powershifting, good horsepower, etc) these teeth read*synchros are put under alot of stress *DURING the shift, so indeed the tranny by "proshifting" is made stronger thus the "open window of opportunity to make the shift, read*powershifting" occurres quicker and with more precision. . .

Easier on the tranny, and it should also be mentioned the "Dog rings / teeth" on a proshifted gear are stronger than the synchros.

Improved strength.

"my car had a tko in it and im fairly sure its the highest horsepower car i know of that had one."

Ok, good job, shame on your for having a transmission not suiteable for the job.

"at 3550 pounds i made 863 rear wheel horses and 949 rear wheel torque the transmission lasted exactly 3 ful throttle blasts before i RIPPED all the teeth off third gear .."

again, good job on the hp/ tq numbers, although I'm not impressed with your application of a tko behind such figures. The *total strength of the tranny (input, output shafts, gearsets etc) are based into a total rating, obviously before you even started your car, you should have been aware of such.

"and not on a shift i simply rolled on the gass at 80 miles an hour in third and it riped all the teeth off when the boost came up."

When a transmission is proshifted dependant upon who does it, a stronger gear is used which might have delayed your results..

again, stronger. and shame on you again.

"I did however run the car at lower boost makeing 650 rear wheel horses and 700 rear wheel torque without issue for a while."

must be a good clutch in the car then.

"I would say the tko is good for around 650 flywheel torque honestly for sustained life."

"btw the tko + is no stronger on 1-4 that i have seen.. it simply has a diferent overdrive ratio for road raceing."

The TKO has a different spline count on the input and output making it stronger, I also believe although it might be in the TKO II specs, that the gear sets *WERE improved in overall handeling strength..

Cheers!

post #12 of 20 Old 03-12-2003, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Well, what is your opions? I want to be able to run high to mid 9's realiable. But keep in mind that it will see the street 80% of the time. That is why I want to go with a 5-speed and not an auto. I won't see the strip that much. I mean I was able to run a 3550 and didn't have too much problems.

I want a strong 5 speed.

4"
post #13 of 20 Old 03-12-2003, 03:21 PM

4" stroke,

I'll list my options and the + and - aspects, ideally going with a 5spd and running high 9's reliably you should use some form of automatic, but here's my best guess.

100% streetable - TKO : I say tko because of the stronger input and output shafts vs the regular 3550 tranny. Additional clutch selection is also available to further reinforce 9sec power.

80% street driven - probably still a TKO, but with the HP to run 9's you won't want to drive a 5spd everyday anyway, much less the car itself. In order to run that quick you'll need a good bit of safety equipt, but that's another point. Again, 9 sec power that is will be reliable will be hard to build without using good quality parts. *read: block, rotating assembly, suspension etc*.

For the 20% at the strip reliably - TKO or TKO II proshifted : It is a neusance to get used to everyday, but it can be done as long as care is taken and you'll absolutely love it at the track.

It's difficult to get the *best of both worlds when you start approaching potential 9's with an everyday street car *reliably. Sure you've read about it, some people have done it but the fact is, at that level unless you go to a G-force 5spd *read NOT STREET FRIENDLY * you will have a hard launching car that is hard on parts but extremly fun to drive.

Take your time, and really plan your scenario out. If you get a regular `synchro'd' tranny sure you can drive all your 600+ hp around and have fun no biggie. You might even get a season out of the tranny if you decide to blast down the 1/4 mile every now and then, but you will eventually run into problems asking that much out of an 80% street driven 100% friendly transmission.

A proshifted tranny is more of a race `derived' piece, IMO a proshifted tranny on the street often (perhaps daily) is just a `hardcore' street / strip car that can do both if need be....

good luck, let me know if you have any questions. PM me your number and I can call you if need be.

Last edited by quarterstang86; 03-12-2003 at 03:28 PM.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-12-2003, 08:22 PM

I have never in my life seen a syncroniser break.. they just wear and then the shifting becomes notchy.

when they proshift transmissions i seriously doubt you will find a stronger gear then the heat treated 4340 high nickle content steel the tko gears are already made of.

as for my clutch its a dual disc mcloud wich can hold 1200 foot pounds of torque no problem.. the same clutch that is recomended for use with liberty or gforce transmissions for 1000 plus horse use on the street.

as for tko2
all the tkos now come with the same gears in them for 1-4.. all of them, they were not improved stength wise.. the diference is the cluster has replaceable indivudal pressed on gears instead of haveing a one piece cluster so its easier to service individual gear failures.

i personaly hate proshifted transmissions.. I just do not think the 1 tenth i may gain in et is not worth the sacrifice in street ability.

I have NEVER in 5 years of haveing a tremec then a tko in my car missed a gear .. So its not much of a issue for me.

my trany lasted for a long time in the car when it was a ten second car at 3500 pounds non proshifted.

when iturned the wick way up i simple over powered it.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-13-2003, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I have never in my life seen a syncroniser break.. they just wear and then the shifting becomes notchy.

when they proshift transmissions i seriously doubt you will find a stronger gear then the heat treated 4340 high nickle content steel the tko gears are already made of.

as for my clutch its a dual disc mcloud wich can hold 1200 foot pounds of torque no problem.. the same clutch that is recomended for use with liberty or gforce transmissions for 1000 plus horse use on the street.

as for tko2
all the tkos now come with the same gears in them for 1-4.. all of them, they were not improved stength wise.. the diference is the cluster has replaceable indivudal pressed on gears instead of haveing a one piece cluster so its easier to service individual gear failures.

i personaly hate proshifted transmissions.. I just do not think the 1 tenth i may gain in et is not worth the sacrifice in street ability.

I have NEVER in 5 years of haveing a tremec then a tko in my car missed a gear .. So its not much of a issue for me.

my trany lasted for a long time in the car when it was a ten second car at 3500 pounds non proshifted.

when iturned the wick way up i simple over powered it.
knew you had a beefy clutch in there somewhere.

Proshifted transmissions are for some people, and others such as yourself hate them. Indeed it will last at 10 sec power if the guy behind the wheel knows how to shift. no biggie.

The 1 tenth reduction that means nothing to you might mean everything to a headsup racer or someone not looking to leave any E.T on the table. Again, personal preference. not a big issue.

My point is, under a racing condition *at the track synchronizers will fail under powershifting *SOONER than a proshifted tranny will! The design does not tolerate, and was not designed for full throttle shifts, such as a PS tranny. This is the point I think you are arguing, or atleast the one that I am defending..

Do I believe, and has it been proven that a proshifted tranny will last longer at the strip.... YES. check around you won't find hardly any synchro'd setups in headsup racing.

Why do you think simi's and dump trucks use a very simular pattern to the proshifted transmissions some put in their cars, it's a durability issue. . Have you ever driven a commercial truck? It just takes more time, but people do it daily. Same case with a PS'd Tremec or T5. It will not drive like your regular 5spd f150, but it's not as weak either.

There is a much larger chance regardless of whether or not you *miss the gear* that all of those little syncrhos are getting beat to hell during a strip run, take them out, Proshift the tranny and you will not be slowly tearing the transmission up over time as you would with the factory built synchros.

My 3550 lasted forever at the strip, at one time goofing off I missed third hard testing out on the street, ( 1 time, that I remember) anyway because of this 3rd gear always had a loud "click" when powershifted.. Did 3rd fail for me, no but was it deteriorating from an engagement standpoint because of the damage to the synchros? ..... (yes).

Fact is, some people tool around on the street and occassionaly make a pass down the track, while others are constantly running the car at the strip and on the street. Under these conditions, if you can learn to drive it on the street a proshifted tranny will last longer and be much more beneficial.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-16-2003, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for all the information. I really don't think I will like the proshifted transmision, even with the extra strenght.

Do you think the TKO will be as strong as a 6 speed T-56??

I know alot of Viper guys down here running those trannys behind some 800+hp combinations. The 6th speed wouldn't really do much for me, but what about the strenght between the two? I mean a Viper motor is still 78ci bigger than my motor, and these things run blowers too.

Thanks again,

4"
post #17 of 20 Old 03-18-2003, 12:30 AM

the tko is every bit at strong AND STRONGER then all t-56 tranys except the viper spec but it cost a good 1200 more to do a viper spec then a tko
and to be honest .. i think the viper spec is only slightly stronger.. and it has that HORRIBLE 2.66 first gear ratio

at the power level you are talking about a tko will be plenty.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-21-2003, 11:52 PM
UNAUTHORIZED ADVERTISER

Trader Feedback: (3)
Just a little bit of additional info. The company I work for builds TKO's with 3rd gear upgrades. So far we have gone as fast as 10.14 in Brian Meyers Real Street Car. What we do to strengthen the unit is to remove the 3rd gear cluster. Install a high nickle 3rd gear, hardened keys below the gear and weld the complete cluster assembly. Like origionally stated you can drive a pro shifted unit on the street you just need to take care of it. We also can do a STREET pro shift where only every other tooth is ground away. Obviously it gives you the performance capacity of regular Pro Shifting but it aslo gives you more strretability. Pay attention to the NMRA results from Reynolds. We are hoping to have the first 9.00 second real street run in history.

My Mom says that if I keep violating the forum's rules about signatures and advertising, I'll just be banned altogether.
post #19 of 20 Old 03-22-2003, 11:33 AM

Quote:
the tko is every bit at strong AND STRONGER then all t-56 tranys except the viper spec but it cost a good 1200 more to do a viper spec then a tko
and to be honest .. i think the viper spec is only slightly stronger.. and it has that HORRIBLE 2.66 first gear ratio

at the power level you are talking about a tko will be plenty.
And as of yet, there is no SFI approved scattershield for the T-56's. Mcleod says they'll have one out over the summer however, we'll see.
post #20 of 20 Old 03-22-2003, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by NITROSTANGRACING
Just a little bit of additional info. The company I work for builds TKO's with 3rd gear upgrades. So far we have gone as fast as 10.14 in Brian Meyers Real Street Car. What we do to strengthen the unit is to remove the 3rd gear cluster. Install a high nickle 3rd gear, hardened keys below the gear and weld the complete cluster assembly. Like origionally stated you can drive a pro shifted unit on the street you just need to take care of it. We also can do a STREET pro shift where only every other tooth is ground away. Obviously it gives you the performance capacity of regular Pro Shifting but it aslo gives you more strretability. Pay attention to the NMRA results from Reynolds. We are hoping to have the first 9.00 second real street run in history.
I'm needing a good manual tranny for my project, how do I get in touch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement