• 1 Post By coupe1993
  • 1 Post By Jesse H
  • 1 Post By jamessr23

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-27-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (15)
Almost a 9.

Got back out to the track this weekend and almost got that elusive 9 second hit. I've been on this motor for 8 years now and usually only get around 15 passes a summer. It's typically in the 80's or 90's for temps when I run but this weekend we were in the 60's. I've never been in the 1.3's for a sixty foot which was also cool. The converter is a little tight for this motor so I'm thinking it does have a 9 in it with the right converter. Would really like to try a set of those 11r 205's and a solid roller!

6.409 @ 106.65
10.093 @133.34

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'91 coupe & '93 cobra. One's quick and the other has 12k miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

N/A 363. Hydraulic roller cam, Twisted Wedge heads, Box-R intake. [email protected] 1.38 60'... More to come.

Last edited by Jesse H; 05-27-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-28-2019, 07:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Very nice! The car is leaving real straight, your suspension is clearly working very well, 1.3 sec/60' is fantastic!. Would you mind sharing some details of this build. Engine/trans, gearing, converter stall, cam specs, tires etc... If you don't mind?

I've got a 93 that will see the track for the first time in 22yrs. Back then I ran it with the factory 302 HCI gears and exhaust on the T5. It's a little different now, and I'm looking forward to getting it out this summer.

How much of an improvement was the relocated uppers worth to you in your setup? I have my suspension setup something fairly similar to what you're running, but instead went with a stock located double adjustable rear upper CA, and a single 10 way rear shock with cut stock rear spring. I intend to plot the IC in the very near future to see where I'm at as far as AS% etc. I'd like to scale the front and rear, but don't have the means atm.

Also, could I ask where you have your front and rear ride height set at (rake)?

Hope I'm not asking for too much, but I thought I'd at least ask. Your car is working very well, and any information you'd be willing to share especially on your suspension setup would be appreciated.

jamessr23 likes this.

Boss block 427W nitrous build, Ported Vic Jr heads, Super Vic, 3848 elbow, 90mm TB, Custom cam. Deka 80lb inj. BBK headers, 3" exh, 10.9:1, Freddy Brown AOD w/4R gears, 3500 stall. Moser 31 spline, 3.55, PiMP XS. Team Z K and coil overs, Strange adj , UMI UCA, HPM Mega bite Jr.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-28-2019, 08:21 AM

Very nice! Congrats!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-28-2019, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1993 View Post
Very nice! The car is leaving real straight, your suspension is clearly working very well, 1.3 sec/60' is fantastic!. Would you mind sharing some details of this build. Engine/trans, gearing, converter stall, cam specs, tires etc... If you don't mind?

I've got a 93 that will see the track for the first time in 22yrs. Back then I ran it with the factory 302 HCI gears and exhaust on the T5. It's a little different now, and I'm looking forward to getting it out this summer.

How much of an improvement was the relocated uppers worth to you in your setup? I have my suspension setup something fairly similar to what you're running, but instead went with a stock located double adjustable rear upper CA, and a single 10 way rear shock with cut stock rear spring. I intend to plot the IC in the very near future to see where I'm at as far as AS% etc. I'd like to scale the front and rear, but don't have the means atm.

Also, could I ask where you have your front and rear ride height set at (rake)?

Hope I'm not asking for too much, but I thought I'd at least ask. Your car is working very well, and any information you'd be willing to share especially on your suspension setup would be appreciated.
Thanks, I appreciate it! Sure, so the engine is a Dart based 4.125" bore block with your typical 3.400" stroke 363" deal. 14:1 diamond pistons. Old (bought them in 2002) trick flow twisted wedge heads that have been ported. Still running the 2.02 intake valve. BBK 1 3/4" headers into some bullets off the collectors. The class I run requires a muffler that cannot exit any further forward than the rear portion of the drivers seat so that's where they are. Trans is a Dynamic mighty mite C4. Converter is an 8" Ultimate Converter Concepts that flashes to around 5,600 which isn't enough for what I've got going. Rear gear is a 4.30 and I'm currently on a Mickey 275 radial pro. The cam is a Hydraulic roller 270/278* .650/.650".

It's hard to say with the relocated uppers. I put them in when the car was a stick shift deal and honestly wasn't at a power level where I ever had issues getting the car to hook. Once I went to this engine/trans combo I had major issues getting the car down the track. Ultimately I tried different lower control arms, springs, and tires with no luck. The thing that cured my issues was a double adjustable rear shock. I was hitting the tire so hard that it would bounce the rear end right back up into the car and unload the tire. We found this out by using a slow motion app and recording the launch. I was originally running a strange 10 way shock. Viking double adjustables now allow me to control the hit and they work awesome!

I'll have to measure the front end. The car looks like it's got a bunch of rake with the 275 radials but it really doesn't. I also run a Hoosier QTP 26x10.5" from time to time and with that tire the car is basically level front to back. When I run that tire I have to change the shock settings but that's pretty much it.

Good luck with your car and let me know if there's anything else you are looking for.

N/A 363. Hydraulic roller cam, Twisted Wedge heads, Box-R intake. [email protected] 1.38 60'... More to come.

post #5 of 12 Old 05-28-2019, 10:07 AM

Thank you so much, appreciate you sharing. I have heard so many people say the same thing you've said about going double adjustable s on the rear setup. I think I'll be making that switch very shortly.

Looking at your rear gear ratio and cam duration, it's safe to say you're turning it pretty hard, and seeing hydraulic rollers kinda gave me pause. How high are you turning it? What lifters are you running? My valve spring rates are 145 on-seat and 430 open, and have occasionally turned 7000 on a few data logs using Morel link bar HR's (not the real expensive ones) but plan on keeping it around 6500. I've often wondered if I should have gone solid?

I still street drive mine quite often, and kinda inherited the 10' 3500 converter that came with the trans. It's very street friendly, but no doubt will hurt some on my 60' being this tight. How loose where you thinking of going with yours?

BTW, how much does it weight? Almost 9 sec NA is fantastic!

Again, I appreciate you sharing.

Boss block 427W nitrous build, Ported Vic Jr heads, Super Vic, 3848 elbow, 90mm TB, Custom cam. Deka 80lb inj. BBK headers, 3" exh, 10.9:1, Freddy Brown AOD w/4R gears, 3500 stall. Moser 31 spline, 3.55, PiMP XS. Team Z K and coil overs, Strange adj , UMI UCA, HPM Mega bite Jr.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-28-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1993 View Post
Thank you so much, appreciate you sharing. I have heard so many people say the same thing you've said about going double adjustable s on the rear setup. I think I'll be making that switch very shortly.

Looking at your rear gear ratio and cam duration, it's safe to say you're turning it pretty hard, and seeing hydraulic rollers kinda gave me pause. How high are you turning it? What lifters are you running? My valve spring rates are 145 on-seat and 430 open, and have occasionally turned 7000 on a few data logs using Morel link bar HR's (not the real expensive ones) but plan on keeping it around 6500. I've often wondered if I should have gone solid?

I still street drive mine quite often, and kinda inherited the 10' 3500 converter that came with the trans. It's very street friendly, but no doubt will hurt some on my 60' being this tight. How loose where you thinking of going with yours?

BTW, how much does it weight? Almost 9 sec NA is fantastic!

Again, I appreciate you sharing.
I do spin it harder than most need to these days. Back when I put this combo together I was dead-set on running a 9 with a hydraulic roller cam and these "small" heads. Why? Good question! I do regret it a bit (especially now with the c4) and am in the process of gathering parts to go solid roller. Right now I'm shifting right around 7,400 and run out the back door close to 7,800. I'm using a Gaterman link bar lifter. I'll take heat for using them but we are many years into this build and it's still zinging along. Your Morel's are a good product. My springs are 170lb on the seat and 590lb open.

I don't street drive mine much but it's actually really fun on the street. A lot friendlier than the straight cut gear g-force t5 I used for the 1st couple of months with this combo! The class I run requires a 20 mile cruise with a heat soak hot start and it's not a problem at all. I was concerned with the 8" converter. With the way my combo is now, I'd like to see a 6,400 stall speed. I think that would pull the engine back right to it's sweet spot.

I have to be 2900lbs with driver for the class I run. This past weekend I was 2960.

Thanks again, and no worries on the questions! Whats the rest of your combo going to look like?
coupe1993 likes this.

post #7 of 12 Old 05-28-2019, 07:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
A good set up bathroom scales will get you close....not joking...!
coupe1993 likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-29-2019, 09:49 AM

My combo is a Ford Racing Boss 9.5 block 4.125 bore with a 4" stroke 427ci HR motor with all RPM internals. The cam is a custom ground .629/.626" 242/250 @ 0.050. I'm running a set of ported Victor Jr heads under a spider intake setup super victor lower and a 3848 Edelbrock intake elbow that has seen some porting matched to an Accufab 90mm TB. All in my signature.

The trans is a Freddy Brown built AOD with the 4R70W gear option with trans brake and OD and a 10" 3500 convertor. A Ford Racing LSD with 3:55 gears and 31 spline Moser axles. I did run an Astro T5 before going auto, but had a feeling it wouldn't last very long under track conditions.

I had a 408 in it a few years ago that I built using a roller 94 block. I first had a set of ported TFS 170 heads on it, then switched to the ported Vic Jr head that I currently use. Without changing anything else other than a head swap, the larger Vic Jr heads were 30whp up on the ported TFS 170's. Perhaps a switch to a set of TFS 205's would get you solidly into the 9's without having to swap out exhaust? I know the elbow setup is hurting output along with my BBK 1 3/4" headers. I would like to switch to a set of 1 7/8" primaries and even a Wilson elbow, but I'll run it this year as is and see where I stand.

I weighed in at 2835lbs without driver with the 408 and T5 combo 2 years ago. With the extra weight of the boss block along with an added 6 point cage and the auto swap, my best guess is somewhere around 2950lbs without me. I need to lose weight!

P.S. Another awesome video! You have that bad boy screaming real nice. Fun to watch!

post #9 of 12 Old 05-29-2019, 11:39 AM

The suspension consists of Team Z K member and control arms with 10 way Strange coil-overs and 14" 150lb springs up front. I have the 10 way in the rear as well, but will be installing a set of Viking double adjustable in the very near future. Megabite jr LCA and UCA double adjustable UCA and the stock rear springs with 1 coil removed. I have a removable ARB installed also and will employ that when on slicks at the track.

While on the street I use M&H 275 60 15" DR's (awesome tires). My compression ratio is just under 11:1, so I'm still running 93. I do my own tuning with PiMP XS ecu. Looking to get it on the dyno in the near future.

post #10 of 12 Old 05-29-2019, 01:49 PM

Awesome! Congrats!

post #11 of 12 Old 06-04-2019, 05:44 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (2)
Well done Jesse! Been following your build for years - always top notch. Glad those Vikings DA rear shocks / settings worked out for you.

Stock Block 408", TFS 11R 205, TFS EFI Carb R Intake, XFI 236HR, Tweecer, Faceplated TKO 500
10.49 @ 130mph

post #12 of 12 Old 06-05-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Reef Blue View Post
Well done Jesse! Been following your build for years - always top notch. Glad those Vikings DA rear shocks / settings worked out for you.
Thanks man! Yeah hands down the best move suspension wise with the car. They just work!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement